cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

@pawl wrote:

@RCJ wrote:

Hey Pawl, I'm still interested in your repair! I've done more shooting with my camera and have asked myself: If I picked this up today, without knowing any of what's gone on, would I be satisfied with it? I had to say yes, although others might not. BTW I appealed to B&H to waive their 30 day return window on this camera, for store credit. They ultimately said OK, which is a credit to them. But at this point I think I might just keep mine. There's nothing else out there in the same class for about the same price that doesn't have some small thing I don't like. 

I suspect I'll be okay with it (until I'm not?), but will report my findings here. I'm just a casual photographer, so I may not have as rigorous a testing as others, but will try to keep track of what I do to test the update. I chose the repair over doing it myself because it was already set up to send in, I didn't need the camera right away, and I figured, let Canon spend the time dealing with it (the update did not seem as easy to me as many other firmware updates on other electronics I have had). 

Regarding B&H, mine was about 30 days past the 30 day window. I understand that they're more flexible when it's within a week or even two. (How far past the window were you when you asked them?)

I think I'm well beyond 30 days past the 30 days. 

Back for a question:

If you are capturing video, will pressing the display button get the battery level display on the screen? I know it displays when you first turn to video mode, when you wake up the screen, or when battery level has become critical. I am almost sure I tested this with firmware version 1.0.2.0 (answer was no, I think) but can't remember if I tested with 1.0.1.0. I would be interested in the answer with both firmware versions.

I contacted Canon thru email- indicating that the situation had improved- but that there is still an issue- they said SEND THE CAMERA BACK- well that is NOT going to happen- I will be interested to hear how your camera turns out!

BrianUnderpants
Apprentice
I took the advice on here and avoided the SX280. Bought a SX260 instead, brilliant pocket camera. No battery problems. £70 secondhand on Amazon.

Hi guys,.  Thanks for the replies.   Yes , they are £99 new .  Not sure where you guys are from, but its from a well known company here in the UK .

So a 1yr guarantee is forthcoming.

So do we think the fault definitly hasnt been fixed, no matter what serial number it is , or any tiny black spot it has in the battery area !?  And im not tempted to buy a new camera where i have to stick tape on it. 

Like I said, shame, as I saw the camera in the shop and liked the feel and look of it.  Some seem so small and plasticy.

My budget is around £150 ..  Id prefer to buy a camera brand I know well, eg Canon, Olympus,  maybe Sony (?) as their reviews are good.   Around 12- 16 mp I guess,  optical around 16-20 is fine.    As mentioned i live in hope it will replace my faulty Sony camcorder  (gutted about that), but i realise its a camera that does video .

Spoiler
Mr. Benn, I'm in Tx. Look at the SX510 SLR. Small, compact. I love this Canon and no problems with it. Great range and easy to run. I have also found in the SX a real Canon brand battery works best. The small velcro i fixed it with works just fine. Also, be sure and check the posts here. Some sent in the SX80 on warranty to Canon and got back scuffed and still not working SX80. Canon really screwed up on this model. Best of luck to you!

Looking at the next priced up Canons, its really frustrating to see one good site rave still about the 280  ....  dont they know about the video issue   ?  I guess its mainly about the stills quality.    All very frustrating when this years model (SX700) is currently twice the price of the 280.   I have to admit seeing the 700 and really looked a nice piece of kit and felt good to handle.  I amy spoil myself yet !

Just to clarify please,  is the issue not resolved on any version of the camera ?

If it has actually been fixed i will be happy to get the store to test it before i buy it.

If not, then I move on ....

Going off to look at some cameras today.  If the 280 is a non-runner , then I  am swaying towards the SX700, but will see.   If anybody has one , id love to hear their thoughts.

Finally, any recommendations on what the best type of card to buy with these cameras ? Does the spped /quality of the card actually affect the quality of the photos taken ?

Id like to get one that will hold plenty of video footage if the camera is as good as hoped,

Thanks for any advice given.

Hope it may help others too 

The manual will tell you what SD card you should use in any camera. I like to go to the mfg website and check out the MANUALs before buying. Many times there are features I want or don't want you can fine in the manuals to help you decide which model.

@mrbenn wrote:

Just to clarify please,  is the issue not resolved on any version of the camera ?

If it has actually been fixed i will be happy to get the store to test it before i buy it.

If not, then I move on ....

Going off to look at some cameras today.  If the 280 is a non-runner , then I  am swaying towards the SX700, but will see.   If anybody has one , id love to hear their thoughts.

Finally, any recommendations on what the best type of card to buy with these cameras ? Does the spped /quality of the card actually affect the quality of the photos taken ?

Id like to get one that will hold plenty of video footage if the camera is as good as hoped,

Thanks for any advice given.

Hope it may help others too 

Just move on away from Canon. In my opinion this is the best response to this 280 lemon they will not fix. I sent my lemon in twice for the "fix" and it came back with exactly the same problem. Why does a big respected company do such a thing? I'm so soured on Canon I could just ....!

Announcements