cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

This camera takes very good picutres!! We just need the battery issue fixed asap.... Some other things that would be nice is to not have a stupid pop up flash and put the selection dial on top of the camera.... If those three things are fixed this would be a perfect pocket camera for those who don't want to bring the dslr along with them... Come on Canon.....

This is a reply to message 110 concerning how reviews are rejected.

I submitted the following review this week for the SX-160 IS. I tried twice - got rejected both times with the same terse and unhelpful email. The review was originally for 4 stars! However I related my experience with the desktop SW as realistically as I could, which was pretty negative. So I gave up with Canon and posted the review to CNET. Dropped it to 3.5 stars because of the rejections. Considering posting a two star review to Canon with no detail of any kind for them to reject. They should consider quitting while they are ahead... there are many sites which accept realistic reviews.

"We've had a series of Sure-Shot and Powershot cameras for quite a few years. We like that Canon cameras are very point-and-shoot friendly, yet allow custom settings as well. It is amazing how quickly we adapted to the new SX-160 IS, with the same controls and locations as the previous A-610, yet impressed by the increase in picture quality. The SX-160 IS resolved tree foliage over a block away at maximum optical zoom and has nifty onboard software for the ultimate in getting successful snapshots. We can still remain true to our devotion to AA battery cameras (thank you, Canon for remembering us). We are willing to forgive the larger size and shorter discharge time that you can expect from AA batteries because of the flexibility to carry some extras and keep on shooting. The 3-inch screen is outrageously clear. One thing we will miss on occasion is the twisty-turny swivel screen on the A-610 that we could see while snapping the LA Marathon over the crowd's heads.
The four star review does NOT apply to the PC software that comes with the camera. The installation not only hung but took over my PC so that even Task Manager couldn't kill it. I had to do a battery-out shutdown, then I chose Custom Install, taking just the User's Manual (which is only provided as a digital file). We have not found the PC software essential to using the camera, since Windows is adequate to download our pictures."

Can anyone tell me whether the firmware update worked? How is the battery life?

Jessica
Enthusiast

To our valued customers,

We have an important update on this topic.  A firmware update is currently being created to address our customers' concerns and we anticipate having more information for you soon.  We will keep you posted as developments occur.

Thank you for your participation on our Forum.

Jessica: Thanks much. I like this camera a lot, otherwise. And the video quality when it is working is excellent.

Filip: Ah, yes. That makes sense about the lens. 

Thank you Canon for that update!! Looking forward to the battery light not flashing and better battery life!!!

Thanks Jessica/Canon.  But please DO NOT reduce the image or video quality while you're fixing the firmware! 

I hope you will detail what the firmware update specifically addresses and what changes in performance or functionality are to be expected.

Jessica, can you please tell us what the firmware will be addressing? No more flashing low battery light, I assume. What about battery life?

I have little time left where I can return the camera. If I don't know what will be addressed I will be returning it.

Thanks for your response.

@Jessica wrote:

To our valued customers,

We have an important update on this topic.  A firmware update is currently being created to address our customers' concerns and we anticipate having more information for you soon.  We will keep you posted as developments occur.

Thank you for your participation on our Forum.

I would imagine this signifies no need to send the camera in if you're patient enough to await the firmware release. 

Announcements