cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Hi everyone,
We have another important update on this topic. A firmware update for the PowerShot SX280 HS has just been released. The new firmware offers movie shooting performance enhancements as well as a resolution for the premature display of the low battery level when shooting in movie mode.

To learn more and download the firmware update, click here

Just did it using the Macintosh Firmware updater. Very easy to do. Seems to be working. No flashing battery indicator.  So far recording for 13 minutes, zooming in and out.

Thanks Canon!

(update - Recorded for 23 minutes before started to get flashing battery. Then it shut off when it reached its recording maximum. Took a few picutres then recorded another 13 minutes and then it shut off saying battery needs to be charged. Works for me!)

So yes, why not using the camera software on computer for doing the update, indeed?

Here is what I have found with some further testing: I still am using a battery that has some drain. After taking a few stills and recording a movie of less than one minute duration, when I turn the camera on in M mode, battery indicates a full charge. If I zoom, I lose a bar on the batterty level indicator. I turn the camera back off and on again. Battery level indication is full. I go to movie mode and get the flashing red low batterry level indication. I zoom twice and the camera shuts down with a "recharge the battery" indication. I switch to M mode and turn the camera back on...battery level indicator indicates full battery. I just don't think this should be happening. Also, I checked and Camera Window is reporting firmware version 1.0.2.0.

@Stephen wrote:

Hi everyone,
We have another important update on this topic. A firmware update for the PowerShot SX280 HS has just been released. The new firmware offers movie shooting performance enhancements as well as a resolution for the premature display of the low battery level when shooting in movie mode.

To learn more and download the firmware update, click here

@videophan wrote:

Here is what I have found with some further testing: I still am using a battery that has some drain. After taking a few stills and recording a movie of less than one minute duration, when I turn the camera on in M mode, battery indicates a full charge. If I zoom, I lose a bar on the batterty level indicator. I turn the camera back off and on again. Battery level indication is full. I go to movie mode and get the flashing red low batterry level indication. I zoom twice and the camera shuts down with a "recharge the battery" indication. I switch to M mode and turn the camera back on...battery level indicator indicates full battery. I just don't think this should be happening. Also, I checked and Camera Window is reporting firmware version 1.0.2.0.

Sounds like the fix may not be a fix.  Maybe it was tested by the same team that didn't notice the original bug.

Interesting I will have to try the fix tonight.. I will report what happens...

@dswansonil wrote:

@videophan wrote:

Sounds like the fix may not be a fix.  Maybe it was tested by the same team that didn't notice the original bug.

Keep in mind that I am using a battery that did not have a full charge when I put it in after the firmware update. It will be interesting to see what happens to those that have updated their firmware after there has been some drain on the battery. The firmware update may have improved the situation, just not fixed it, and for some that may be enough.

You're the best, videophan! Just to clarify, is it your impression that the sx280 is still experiencing rapid battery drain? I'm wondering whether this firmware update simply lowers the tolerances for the red flashing light and automatic shutoff, rather than addressing the sapping of power that caused the problem in the first place. Is anyone who installed the firmware update seeing an actual camera shutdown, as happened with the original firmware?

Is this firmware also compatible with the SX270 ? Or will the firmware fix for the SX270 be released soon for the european market? The SX270 is suffering the exact same battery issues as the SX280!

@dazzlerbe wrote:

Is this firmware also compatible with the SX270 ? Or will the firmware fix for the SX270 be released soon for the european market? The SX270 is suffering the exact same battery issues as the SX280!

Yes, the 270 page has the same firmware update, e.g.:

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements