cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Well after downloading the firmware update I have somewhat of a success story. Fresh canon battery- I recorded 24 minutes of video with NO flashing indicator at all. the camera simply records-- when it gets to 23 minutes the timer turns RED and at exactly 24 minutes the camera stops recording with no notice. I turned the camera off, I let the camera cool, turned it back on, started videoing again, this time the red battery indicator blinks and I record an additional 24-25 minutes, indicator blinking the entire time and it stops recording, but doesn't turn off the camera- let it cool and I could take a few flash pictures. I recharged the battery and repeated the scenario above and got the exact same results! Quite an improvement.

Then I inserted a fresh wasabi 1300 battery, - I took 250 non flash photos, I started a movie, the red battery flashing kicked in at 19 minutes, the camera stopped recording at 24 min. I turned off the camera, let the camera cool, turned it back on and took 15-25 flash photos before the camera died and the charge your battery indicator came on.
Very interesting, and very confusing as to why there are varied results among so many.

@mcasale16 wrote:
Well after downloading the firmware update I have somewhat of a success story. Fresh canon battery- I recorded 24 minutes of video with NO flashing indicator at all. the camera simply records-- when it gets to 23 minutes the timer turns RED and at exactly 24 minutes the camera stops recording with no notice. I turned the camera off, I let the camera cool, turned it back on, started videoing again, this time the red battery indicator blinks and I record an additional 24-25 minutes, indicator blinking the entire time and it stops recording, but doesn't turn off the camera- let it cool and I could take a few flash pictures. I recharged the battery and repeated the scenario above and got the exact same results! Quite an improvement.

Then I inserted a fresh wasabi 1300 battery, - I took 250 non flash photos, I started a movie, the red battery flashing kicked in at 19 minutes, the camera stopped recording at 24 min. I turned off the camera, let the camera cool, turned it back on and took 15-25 flash photos before the camera died and the charge your battery indicator came on.
Very interesting, and very confusing as to why there are varied results among so many.

Isn't there a note somewhere that 24 minutes is the max on a single video before the camera has to stop and save it off to the memory card?  I'm assuming you were shooting 1080 at 50p or 60p.

Well I may keep an eye on the post but I'm off to the panasonic world. Going with the Lumix ZS30. That will be my first non Canon point and shoot. Good luck guys....

@scupking wrote:

Well I may keep an eye on the post but I'm off to the panasonic world. Going with the Lumix ZS30. That will be my first non Canon point and shoot. Good luck guys....

How about an update on that camera here?  Would be a good comparison by the same user that might help some of us make a choice.

Same here scupking, very interested in your opinion of the zs30. Uberaugie was going to get one and was asked to report back but nothing so far. B&H has the camera in silver but no other reputable vendors including shop.panasonic has it available at $399. Maybe he ran into the unavailability problem when he tried to order. Thanks in advance!

@dswansonil wrote:

@scupking wrote:

How about an update on that camera here?  Would be a good comparison by the same user that might help some of us make a choice.

Standard movie settings were used, zoomed in at the beginning and then let it run

Note to Videophan: Yes, my camera was v. 1.0.0 before the firmware update.

Here is my experience:

After the update, I put in a fresh Wasabi 1300 MaH battery. I shot probably 40 still shots and a series of about 5 brief 1-3 minute (simulating how I would use the camera in real life) videos (1080/60f). No warning light, battery still showed full.

Later, I repeated the video sequence. Same result.

This morning, on same battery charge (I'm estimating now about 3/4 full), I turned on video and it shot for 12 minutes (a few zooms during), at which point the low-battery light came on. I stopped the shot and let it write to the card, then started a new video, with camera just sitting and shooting. While the low-battery warning light was on the whole time, it continued to run for another 20 minutes. At that point I operated the zoom and the camera shut down. 

I then repowered and immediately began taking still photos, superfine setting, in program mode, and went through 100 frames in rapid succession, with zero problems or delays. I finally got bored and stopped. The battery indicator in still mode still shows two bars.

All things considered, I think that's pretty **bleep** good performance for one charge from this McDinky battery. It's a far more rigorous battery-drain test than the camera will ever face in actual use, at least for me. I haven't repeated the same test wit the OEM battery, and don't plan to: With extra batteries available for about 9 bucks, I consider the problem basically solved. 

RCJ   One of my earlier tests showed similar results if you just let the video run while the low bat warning was flashing and didn't zoom or turn the camera off but just stopped and started the video.  It really sounds like the lens motor is the biggie power draw.  Did the 280 get noticeable warm when you let it run for the 20 minute video? 

Do you know if there is a user setting for how long the the camera is idle before it initiates an auto shut down?

I agree. The zoom function seems to be the killer here. I personally rarely use the zoom much for vid (my use is mostly stationary interview clips on tripod, and maybe a few general wide shots.) But those who would use zoom much during vid would not be happy at all with the cam. The camera did get warm, yes, but didn't seem unusually so to me. A few minutes later I pulled the battery to charge it and it was warm, but not hot. Not sure about an auto-shutdown feature for when the camera is running.
@dswansonil wrote:

RCJ   One of my earlier tests showed similar results if you just let the video run while the low bat warning was flashing and didn't zoom or turn the camera off but just stopped and started the video.  It really sounds like the lens motor is the biggie power draw.  Did the 280 get noticeable warm when you let it run for the 20 minute video? 

Do you know if there is a user setting for how long the the camera is idle before it initiates an auto shut down?

I will update you guys once I get the ZS30. I will order after I get my refund back from amazon. Just wish the ZS30 had 10 or 12 mp. Over all after reading a lot of reviews the zs30 seems to be the best 20x pocket camera.

Announcements