cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Hello everyone,

here is some feedback on this issue from Belgium/Europe.

I purchased the SX270HS for my wifes birthday beginning May (in Europe, both version 270/280 are available, and since I did not need the GPS, I opted for the 270)

It has the exact same issue as the 280: fully charged battery, when taking pictures the battery symbol shown "fully charged" but when switching to video mode a red emppty battery indicator starts flashing within seconds.

Powering the camera off, and then back on, taking pictures again, again shows a fully charged battery.

I purchased a spare battery (canon original!) which has the exact same behaviour.

I was hoping this would be a firmware issue, and apperently it is.

I hope canon will also release a firmware fix for the SX270HS, and not only the SX280HS !!!

Hi all,

On sunday it was my daughters birthday and I had fully charged the battery and guess what: just acting normal (not specifically testing for battery performance) I shot stills and movies and not once did I encounter the battery problem.  I took some pictures yesterday and still no problem.

But, the battery has been recharged 3-4 times - maybe indeed this helps, as one contributor suggested?

The battery gets more stable after a number of recharges?

This could explain (and save face) for Canon why it was not in their face when testing: maybe they tested with batteries which where already recharged a few times?

Still looking forward to a firmware update ...

Regards,

Filip.

@filipb wrote:

Hi all,

On sunday it was my daughters birthday and I had fully charged the battery and guess what: just acting normal (not specifically testing for battery performance) I shot stills and movies and not once did I encounter the battery problem.  I took some pictures yesterday and still no problem.

But, the battery has been recharged 3-4 times - maybe indeed this helps, as one contributor suggested?

The battery gets more stable after a number of recharges?

This could explain (and save face) for Canon why it was not in their face when testing: maybe they tested with batteries which where already recharged a few times?

Still looking forward to a firmware update ...

Regards,

Filip.

I have recharged one  (of two) batteries at least ten times, the other four to five times. While recharging the battery a few times seems to help the issue slightly, it still exists to a very large degree. As  far as Canon saving face, that train left the station a couple of weeks ago.

I chose not to obsess over the battery/indicator and put my camera to 'normal usage' test this weekend. I was very satisfied! I took pictures, video (60fps, 30fps, and slow motion), and zoomed a lot. After loading them on my computer I was amazed by the quality. This camera is super 'smart'. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the options and settings. I did have to tap into my spare battery, but performance exceeded my expectations. I guess my experience was very similar to "filipb". Canon undeniably needs to fix the confirmed issue. And since it appears they are working on it, I will be keeping my camera as it is serving it's purpose just fine for me. In fact I'm blown away by this camera's capabilities.

I too have the battery issue. However, after reading posts I followed others and fully charged and discharged a battery a few times. Then I did a test.

I was able to record for 25 minutes without one shut down. Indicator was blinking but it recorded fine. Then took some photos before battery gave out.

Yes, Canon should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such an obvious bug. But the camera is otherwise a great value and performer for the money. I can easily wait for a firmware update to address this issue.

Hi all,

No doubt there is still an indicator (and auto-shutdown) problem.

Just saying that recharging a few times seems to ameliorate the problem.

That's on the objective side - on the subjective side: just shoot normally and don't be over conscious with the battery; it seems to help too! 😉

Regards,

Filip.

What puzzles me is that some of us are seeing different results - some cameras shut down, some keep on shooting (usually with a toggle of the on-off switch) and some claim they've seen no problem whatsoever. My uneducated engineering guess is that maybe different control figurations cause faster perceived battery drain by the camera - or maybe actual battery drain.  But if you read this thread and other reports on the internet, it almost seems that different cameras are behaving differently.

For MarioV - no need to apologize. We're all on the same side here. By working together, I hope we call can put pressure on Canon to answer up or fix this problem sooner rather than later. And I really hope that Canon will take this sad episode to heart and think twice before releasing a camera before it's been properly tested.

@smith wrote:
I chose not to obsess over the battery/indicator and put my camera to 'normal usage' test this weekend. I was very satisfied! I took pictures, video (60fps, 30fps, and slow motion), and zoomed a lot. After loading them on my computer I was amazed by the quality. This camera is super 'smart'. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the options and settings. I did have to tap into my spare battery, but performance exceeded my expectations. I guess my experience was very similar to "filipb". Canon undeniably needs to fix the confirmed issue. And since it appears they are working on it, I will be keeping my camera as it is serving it's purpose just fine for me. In fact I'm blown away by this camera's capabilities.

I agree with smith. I have spent several hours reading through the pdf-manual (and writing up a set of notes) for this camera, and it has more functions than I will ever need. "Wink" to take a photo? Registering faces? I can't imagine I'll ever use those features, but they are there, and impressive. I've been taking the camera on hikes and playing with the GPS and shooting stills and the battery is fine. I just stay away from videos, as that is not what I got the camera for anyway. For me, it's just a travel camera because I don't want to lug my dSLR overseas this time. I chose this camera for the zoom and the small size. (And I bought two extra batteries.)

In fact, my complaints with the camera are leaning from the flashing red battery issue to how difficult it is to turn the dial (the one around func. set) without accidentally clicking on the up/down/left/right arrows. And my fingers are small! Also, I often accidentally press the movie button. I set the flash to "off" to prevent it popping up. But what else can manufacturers do when they are trying to stuff so many functions into such a small package?

"But what else can manufacturers do when they are trying to stuff so many functions into such a small package?"

Maybe Canon should build a slightly bigger camera to accommodate the ergonomics of the user's finger with a bigger sensor and a bigger battery for those of use that recognize that we don't need Winking, GPS, WiFi, miniature mode, etc. but rather better basic photographic and video functionality.

My SX280 always flashes the low-battery indiciator while shooting video, even with a fully-charged battery.

Mine also exhibits another problem:

I can connect the camera to my computer (Mac) via Wi-Fi, which is verified by the automatic launching of the CameraWindow software on the computer. However, as soon as I attempt to do anything in the CameraWindow application (such as download photos from the camera), the camera disconnects from Wi-Fi, which results in the CameraWindow app reporting that:

"The camera has been disconnected. The software will now close."

(For the record, I have no problem d/l-ing via USB cable, in that case CameraWindow works ok.) 

Has anyone else seen this problem? 

Is anyone successfully using Wi-Fi to download photos from their SX280 to their computer?

Announcements