cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

@miltk wrote:

i get the sarcasm, dswan, you all wreek of it...i don't mind LOL. but if i have a chance to get a 280 at $149, it's worth the inquiry. that's why i'm asking. i'm going to call support again and ask about whether the non=0,1,2 cameras are the same only updated or a different lineup.

OR maybe you guys just like taking 30 minute vids! i don't and i won't. in that respect my needs are different than everyone else's as i am PRIMARILY buying the slo-mo functionality that only takes 30sec chunks anyway.

miltk.  At $149, if you're only really interested in stills and not video, it might not be a bad deal.  I'm soured on Canon for the way they dealt with this issue but my main complaint was based on my plan to use the camera extensively for full 1080p video.  30 minutes per battery might be ok but not if you never know when the battery was actually about to run out of juice.  I was coming from an Canon S5 IS which ran off AA batteries and could go for hours using the lithium ones.

A couple other issues that also troubled me was the poor placement of the pop up flash and the washout of the lcd display in bright light.

The slow motion of the SX280 has two modes, one of 120 fps, 30 seconds filming and another 240 fps, filming 2 minutes. I've tried both ways and the camera consumes even more battery than in 1080p videos ...

andres, yes in particular the 30sec mode which has a high resolution. i believe that is the mode when i tried someone else's s100 and i got exactly what i needed - it was great. the slo mo is critical for me and i only need 30sec chunks. i never needed 30 minute hd capability

i always assumed that slo-mo eats up battery, but just so long as i don't face the indicator problem, i'm fine with it.

robford37
Apprentice

I have the same problem.  Can you tell me how you performed the hard reset?

Thanks!

Rob

One email from Canon support referred to "letting the camera sit with no power" (and SD card removed) "for about 20 minutes" as a "hard reset".  Seems like this happens every time I recharge the battery so I'm not sure why they call this a "hard reset".  Maybe removing both the SD card and batery does something ... I don't know.  Anyway, after this procedure, and with the new SD card in place formatted (low-level), it seems to work a lot better.

I have not had time to measure how long it'll record before the battery dies but it's more than 20 minutes.  The red battery indicator flashes for most of that time but it records ok. 

Unless the battery has a full charge, putting the camera in video mode triggers the red battery indicator and it continues to flash regardless of mode.  If I turn the camera off and right back on the battery indicates a full charge.  Does anyone else see this kind of bahavior? 

I'm having the same issue with the battery. Your description helped me define the problem. I wasn't sure what was causing the red low battery to go off, but sure enough it's when I shoot a movie.

Has anyone called Canon about this? That would be helpful so they will know it needs a fix. I have 12 days of time to return the camera. I'd rather keep it, if a fix is going to happen.

I too have the same problem. And I buy a SX280 in the Czech Republic. We'll see what to do Canon.

after spending that kind of money i do not need the aggravation - love the camera but returning it.

I spoke with the techniques of canon representation of the company in Czech Republic. He knew nothing about this problem and the only advice to them was: put it in for service ! After three days of use in service ! Mockery.

Has anyone resolved the battery problem with the SX280 HD? I am still under warranty but after reading one of the posts where the factory said they couldn't fix and sent a refurb that was worse has made me wonder....do I want to send it in if no solution and I may get a worse camera! 

I have till Dec 2014 on my warrenty. Love the camera except for this battery problem...I charge the battery and after a few still shots the camera indicates I need to charge the battery!

Announcements