cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I am returning my SX280, firmware didn't fix the battery problem. Don't know what to get now with superzoom, image quality, and size of SX280.

You probably should be looking at a Panasonic ZS20 or ZS30 or a Sony HX50V. They have better battery life but cost more.  I'm also debating a Panasonic FZ200 but it's bigger and quite a bit more expensive. 

I will look look into these, thanks.

miltk
Contributor

"

How to Identify Cameras that are eligible for the Firmware Update:
Please check the serial number on the bottom of the camera.
This firmware update is for products with the following serial numbers.

■Serial number
Products whose sixth digit from the left is “2” or less
[*****2******] , [*****1******] , [*****0******]"

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx280_hs?pageKeyCo...

If the number is 3 or more you dont need to update the firmware, it come updated, but is exactly the same machine and the problem is not solved.

It's surprising take a Sony or Panasonic and the batteries last many times longer even on the new  SX700 when shooting videos....  why the descrepency?

BTW the battery in the SX700 is nothing to write home about it's only a 1060 mA/Hr, 60mA/Hr more compared to the SX280

One local emporium are selling the SX700 the same price as the SX280  the SX700 is surely a dearer camera sounds strange to me - are they telling me something here?

They never stocked the SX280 and the SX270  they were marked - 'Available at the end of the month' or 'Available in 5 - 8 days,'   I wonder if they will ever stock the SX700 not that I am interested now? When the SX280 first came out they said they would Email me when in stock - still waiting.... I'm glad they didn't.

Dave

Miltk, I think I speak for everyone here in saying you should definitely buy the sx280. Thanks for bringing that firmware update to our attention. I don't think anyone here ever tried anything like that over the past year! If a Canon rep says the problem is fixed, it must be, right? Let us know how it works!

@UnionStation wrote:
Miltk, I think I speak for everyone here in saying you should definitely buy the sx280. Thanks for bringing that firmware update to our attention. I don't think anyone here ever tried anything like that over the past year! If a Canon rep says the problem is fixed, it must be, right? Let us know how it works!

Miltk, if English isn't your native language, please look under "sarcasm" in the dictionary.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

The firmware up date definitely does NOT work. Don't buy this lemon. What Canon says and what happens are two different things.

i get the sarcasm, dswan, you all wreek of it...i don't mind LOL. but if i have a chance to get a 280 at $149, it's worth the inquiry. that's why i'm asking. i'm going to call support again and ask about whether the non=0,1,2 cameras are the same only updated or a different lineup.

OR maybe you guys just like taking 30 minute vids! i don't and i won't. in that respect my needs are different than everyone else's as i am PRIMARILY buying the slo-mo functionality that only takes 30sec chunks anyway.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements