cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

miltk
Contributor

i just talked to a canon tech supp. she said "on the serial#, if the 6th digit from the left(7th from the right) is a 2, 1, or 0, it is a faulty product

You didn't understand it correctly, if any number any position is any natural number then is a defective unit.

"You didn't understand it correctly, if any number any position is any natural number then is a defective unit."

LOL

I do wonder how many "good" copies there are out there though.  You normally only hear horror stories on feedback websites, and those with no problems usually stay quiet.  But when I say "good copy" I mean those in line with the specs....which is actually pretty dissappointing even if it is operating as specified.  I miss the old Powershots with AA batteries!

Here we are, castaways abandoned on the SX280 island, 114 pages of SOS calls and nothing, no one listens ...

If Canon Tech Support said that "on the serial#, if the 6th digit from the left(7th from the right) is a 2, 1, or 0, it is a FAULTY PRODUCT" Canon must to change all the machines sold with these serial numbers. ¿Dont you think so?, however Canon don´t recognizes it oficially, because the fault includes all the actual series of SX280 and SX270, and future series ...

Yes you are right but Canon don't care about their costumers...  CANON IS NOT A GOOD BRAND... G

o eat the money of another person but not me anymore.... 

pawl
Enthusiast

Ever since UnionStation and videophan left, this place has been like a ghost town (cut to tumbleweeds rolling across a wide, empty dirt road and shutters, half-hanging, swinging in the wind).

I'm still hanging around for the stagecoach to bring my repaired camera, soze I can see fur meeself. They only deliver here once a fortnight seems....no sign....back to the saloon.

Dswansoni, I ordered a ZS30 I will let you know when I get it in...

Hey Pawl, I'm still interested in your repair! I've done more shooting with my camera and have asked myself: If I picked this up today, without knowing any of what's gone on, would I be satisfied with it? I had to say yes, although others might not. BTW I appealed to B&H to waive their 30 day return window on this camera, for store credit. They ultimately said OK, which is a credit to them. But at this point I think I might just keep mine. There's nothing else out there in the same class for about the same price that doesn't have some small thing I don't like. 

@RCJ wrote:

Hey Pawl, I'm still interested in your repair! I've done more shooting with my camera and have asked myself: If I picked this up today, without knowing any of what's gone on, would I be satisfied with it? I had to say yes, although others might not. BTW I appealed to B&H to waive their 30 day return window on this camera, for store credit. They ultimately said OK, which is a credit to them. But at this point I think I might just keep mine. There's nothing else out there in the same class for about the same price that doesn't have some small thing I don't like. 

I suspect I'll be okay with it (until I'm not?), but will report my findings here. I'm just a casual photographer, so I may not have as rigorous a testing as others, but will try to keep track of what I do to test the update. I chose the repair over doing it myself because it was already set up to send in, I didn't need the camera right away, and I figured, let Canon spend the time dealing with it (the update did not seem as easy to me as many other firmware updates on other electronics I have had). 

Regarding B&H, mine was about 30 days past the 30 day window. I understand that they're more flexible when it's within a week or even two. (How far past the window were you when you asked them?)

Announcements