cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

BigCTM
Contributor

If you do not plan on using the video functionality, is there an issue with the battery life?  It sounds like the issue relates to using the camera for video only.  

You only get around 200 pictures before the battery runs out. Sony wx300 can take 500 on one charge. Don't see why canon can't do that. If the Sony had manual controls it would be perfect...

BigCTM
Contributor

Makes me glad I purchased it from Costco...Hopefully it will be fixed during the 90 days I have to return it.  I rarely use video on cameras anyway.  I still like using my camcorder better. 

joshf52
Apprentice

I called last night to get mine set up for a repair/replacement. The CS rep on the phone said it was not their policy to provide return shipping labels. I actually had to argue for one (as politely as possible, since I generally don't agree with being rude to CS.) It is supposed to be emailed in 24-48 hours. This is completely unacceptable policy from Canon on this problem, and I don't appreciate this treatment.

FYI mine currently shows full battery, immediately goes red when I switch to video, and immediately shuts down as soon as I tap the zoom, then shows full again once I power it back up.

I also currently own an S95 and T3i, and this will be my last Canon purchase.

denver80237
Apprentice

I've ultimately decided that waiting for the firmware update isn't worth my time.  I can't just sit on $300 until Canon gets around to fixing the problems with this camera.  I'd rather spend a little more money and just get a t3i -- on sale this weekend -- and is well received by nearly everyone.

Ritt
Apprentice

I was considering the SX280 for the "faster speed". I currently have a SX260 and shot sveerl vids and snap shots over 3 months, I've never seen the low battery  light come on yet. It did die once because I left the GPS on while the camera sat in the car for a week, so no more GPS. I've been switching batteries after what seemed like a long time, and put in a fresh charged battery when I picked it up for another day. I'll try running it down the next time. I use the Canon 1000 and have a spare 1600. Really interested to find out if Canon has a rev. of some kind. Like politicans, deny, deny, deny.......maybe it'll go away.

eazycanon
Contributor

I've been waiting for an update before buying the sx280. I've been watching Gordon Laing's google+ account and he recently posted the item below. Maybe I'm just a  born again skeptic but a return to the manufacturer sounds like a component(s) replacement rather than a good old firmware upgrade!. I hope Gordon updates this soon.

https://plus.google.com/103519655975029093996/posts/NkuewnzCRKV#103519655975029093996/posts/NkuewnzC...

Emsmith
Apprentice
I received this camera yesterday for a present. Love it but after experiencing the battery issue I am thinking about returning the camera. What camera are you getting after returning this one?

I'm considering the Panasonic Lumix ZS30 however it's out of stock until June 9th, or so Panasonic told me. Too bad about the SX280. I'd buy it again if the battery issue was fixed.

clrdogrl
Apprentice

I have been stalking this thread waiting for the first person to receive the camera back from Canon and what the result is!  I haven't yet purchased the camera and I've been trying to wait it out to see what happens and purchase a new camera once Canon ships the "newest" ones to retailers.

The suspense...it's killing me!  Hurry Canon, hurry!

Announcements