cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

esteban_r
Apprentice

Hi all

Just another silly Canon customer who trusted this company.

A relative of mine brought it from the USA some days ago (I live outside the US) Here, the Canon support is less than a joke, almost non-existent, partly because of our crappy and closed economy. So cannot return for refund or replacement.

Shortly:
- in HD, red indicator turns on but can film (do not know for how long)
- in Full HD, red indicator turns on and camera turns off immediately.
- no need for firmware update

My ancient 2006 Kodak C645 camera seems more reliable and predictable than the SX280. Believe it or not.

Shame on Canon. I will never ever get any of their products again.
So Canon, you lost another customer. Whoever asks me for advice, i will let know how this company ignores customers and its poor products quality. Really disappointed.

Thanks Canon!

Use tape over the middle pin and the camera shuts only down when the battery is empty.

You have no indicator, but better then nothing.

If you recorded 20-25 minutes of video, then use a spare battery und you are pretty save 😉

@HR wrote:

Use tape over the middle pin and the camera shuts only down when the battery is empty.

You have no indicator, but better then nothing.

If you recorded 20-25 minutes of video, then use a spare battery und you are pretty save 😉

Or you could rig up an AC to DC converter and use a very long cord to a wall outlet.

Or mount a solar panel on your head and connect that to the battery for a continuous recharge.

LOL, LOL

Submerge the camera in lemon juice and exactly 5 minutes later press the ON/OFF buton.  Now not only you bought a lemon but it smells like one too.  CANON SX280 certified lemon.

What gets me is that Canon have NOT learned any lessons have they? 

They bring the SX700 out, yes it 'may' have a slight improvement over the SX280..... but still way, way behind their competitors when it comes to battery life and that includes shooting videos.

So some bright spark at Canon decides to improve the battery - they used a 1060mA/Hr battery compared to the 1000mA/Hr battery of the SX280 - wow, thats is incredidble with the battery technology today.

And  the flash is still in the same old place....  To put the cards on the table Canon have learned nothing and reading between the lines it tells me they are aware of the battery problem, why would they use a different battery otherwise?

Their behaviour will lose them a lot of customers and put many people off their products. Whats gone wrong at Canon?

Davy

Hi all

I do not get it.

The SX510 seems to work fine! (googled a lot for battery problems and found nothing)

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx510_hs

Cameras are rather similar in features (except for GPS, opt zoom,  grip and bulky but comfortable design etc etc) and price, but the SX510 works!

Canon produces a ****** camera and a working camera at the same time. This is really a joke. Someone please explain it to me. Darn Canon.

I really regret not having choosen this SX510. Even worse, some workmates suggested to go for Lumix cams a while ago (eg: Lumix ZS10 ZS20 ZS25 TZ30 ZS30 you name it) and ignored them, which i regret it by far.

All that said, my next cam would be Lumix i guess.

Regardz

[Mod note - edited for language]

I have been tempted to get the SX700, but there is not enough feedback out there as there has been with the SX280. My guess,  may be after so many had bitter experience with the SX280 and now not many are are prepared to buy the Canon SX700, and they are shying away from Canon.

Hi Bluestar48 - Well, I've learned my lesson...I won't make a substantial camera cost investment until I've seen a lot of feedback, particularly from users. I read the reviews from a number of camera sites and although some "professional" reviewers acknowledged the video zoom/battery problem, I didn't see any of them saying that Canon's firmware solution didn't fix the problem, even after waiting for about 3 or 4 months after the SX 280 became available, which is how long I waited to buy it. Obviously, better to be cautious. ...Mylze

Hi Mylze,  me too, I am not prepared to jump with any new Canon compact until I have seen heaps of posters reviews about it. I would not like to re live the better dissapointment I experienced with the SX280,   the SX 700 has not been commented enough to reassure me.  I was lucky I was able to return the SX280 quickly, otherwise it would have driven me crazy jf I had to keep it. What baffles me here, why some are still buying that lemon to afterwards going on a problem solving spree trying to turn the lemon into an orange.  You can put lipstick on the SX280 as much as you want, it will still be a lemon.

I had a recent experience that partially solves the limited battery life issue when using the video zoom feature. I was at a nearby Best Buy looking at the new SX 700 and a salesman asked me if I was interested in purchasing the camera. I mentioned that I was a current SX280 owner and wouldn't consider another Canon camera until they resolved the very limited video zoom battery problem. The salesman suggested that I try out the SanDisk Extreme Plus SDHC UHS-I memory card. It was normally priced at about $40 but it was now on sale for $22. He said that he found that this card resolved a number of problems on the video operation of many cameras and if it didn't help my camera, then just return the card within the 14 day return period for a full refund. After being frustrated with this camera's video zoom issue for almost the past year and not having the prior Canon firmware download improve the issue at all, I felt I'd give it a shot.

I was very pleased with the results. I found that for about the first 1/3 of the normal battery life, the flashing red battery icon didn't come on at all when I used the video zoom; and for the second 1/3 of the normal battery life, the flashing red battery icon came on but didn't shut down the camera; and for the last 1/6 of the normal battery life, the flashing red battery icon came on and turned off the camera only when I retracted the zoom; and for the final 1/6 of normal battery life, the flashing red battery icon came on and turned off the camera almost immediately.

This has been my experience over the past 3 weeks of extensive shooting of stills and video zoom use of the camera. It's not a full solution, but if these results continue when I'm shooting video zoom, I see no need to replace this camera which I really like. ...Mylze

Announcements