cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

As someone already have said here c

Canon sucks.  They still selling that bad camera, they still cheating their costumers..... 

Canon don't care,  Canon wants to sell all their defective product...  If they advice costumers that the camera only makes 5 minutes..... 

I have just bought a SONY dsc-hx60.... Canon no more and i said that on all photo forums i know... 

@MarioV

'I' take no notice of reviews,  yes I read them but they go in one ear out the other.... did they ever spot the Canon SX280 flaw... Nope, the users did...  did Canon really test it, why did they allow it to be released?

On top of that I ain't gonna rush out and buy the next camera they produce like so many folks have done here and elsewhere.  Further more, should 'I' return a camera under warranty I want to be having a new one un-opened not a refurbished one that someone else has had.... might be OK for you but not I.

Knowing Canon I would not be surprised if they used 'dodgy posters' praising their new SX700, the way they have acted has devalued my trust in the company.

Dave

Want proof that our every word has been heard by Canon? Look at my comment on the previous page and you'll see in the header that it was EDITED by a Canon moderator named Jason. He deleted some words Canon apparently felt were not appropriate. Talk about BS.

Hi, anyone knows if the SX700 battery can be used on the SX280?

They deleted a post of mine too, I was advising the Argentinian fellow who published the German video showing the tape on the contact to not do it.

I agree with you bradmos, because the tape in the battery not allows the charger to see the status of the load, then you must use a charger that does not cut, with risk of damaging the battery. Moreover, with tape on the battery, the machine does not know that the battery is running low, and the last video is lost because the film is cut and the machine is left with no other charge to save the video in memory .

I also have used tape on battery and works but i also know that's is not the correct way to solve things, the best way is buy another camera of another brand...  I really think is stupid go out and buy the new 700 even if is good when the Canon given me a defective device,  and still cheating other people....  

If there is a problem with the sx700, Canon will be happy to replace your new camera free of charge (with a refurbished model). All you have to pay for is the shipping, and they'll send you a used camera with the same problems, then tell you you're imagining things. After all, there are no complaints from MarioV of DPR (which might as well be known as Canon PR).

Hello,

Just adding a new case even if it is Canon USA forum!

I paid attention to this topic (I'm in Europe and I wanted to buy a SX280). I gambled, I lost, having battery problem while taking a video and zooming 😕

I can't say I was not aware! But I don't really shoot videos so, not a huge lost.... (from my own point of view)

It's very sad anyway Canon hasn't fixed this issue. My serial ia with *****4, the new firmware is already integrated I think.

The other point was I did not trust those early review with people who get quite early a camera which is on the market a month later... Either them, or the camera they got which can be fine tuned...

Regards

HR
Contributor

Hello

A customer on Amazon says, if you use a microsdhc card with adapter

than there is no battery indicator problem.

I don't know if it's true or not

Announcements