cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Not a battery issue - battery is full and will last for at least 30 minutes of continous recording even with zooming in and out

That is if you are willing to fool  the camera's hrdware with the well known trick but then you do not have the indicator and the camera will get HOTTER and HOTTER  as you continue recording.

These issues do not exist with the SONY  (it's battery also lasts much much longer).  The SONY is slightly bigger than the CANON but still fits in my pockets - still very easy to carry around - zoom is amazing.   Just stop by a Best Buy store, they have it on display. You have 15 days to return it anyway. I paid $299.99 plus tax..

come on canon, please respond , why are you ignoring this thread?

@Iamgeorge,

You could buy one. But, there are numerous threads on several forums with thousands of posts AND silence from Canon on this issue. 

Buying an SX280 now sounds more like an exercise in frustration.

BTW, my SX280 just bricked. No amount of recharging will make it even turn on. Since I live outside the USA and have lost the receipt, there is no recourse for me. My fault there. But still it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Some other camera would seem the better option. If Canon fixes these issues in a new camera, it will probably be fine. Others in the thread have mentioned additional aternatives. The latter will be my choice.

Glisten

Bradmoss, if you used a regulated powersupply (like a cellphone charger) and it is off by more than 0.2 - 0.5V, return the multimeter. It may cost more than the cost of the multimeter to have it calibrated. Regular transformers will output a much higher voltage than their rated values.

Anyone try this? could answer any technical, this has technical contraindications? Battery can die forever? and reloading can explode? Sorry the video is in German not understand anything I'm from ARGENTINA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsy5E7bh2Y

Nicoceo, thanks for your input , I'll try. Please note that if video is filmed in HD ie 1280 x 720 30fps, the video quality is still very good and the battery problem disappears. The camera films for 30 minutes and cut , but not for low battery, because it seems that has an internal limit, and can shoot after another 25 minutes until the battery runs out, starting with a fully charged battery. That is almost an hour of video with no problem. I think the problem is that in Full HD video modes , the processing the camera must do, consumes much power and this high current produces a decrease of the battery voltage by the internal resistance and therefore the battery sensor of the camera, turn it off,  then when you turn on the camera again, the power consumption is low and shows a fully charged battery. It is remarkable the temperature that takes the camera, in the battery zone, when shooting in full HD . When shooting in HD is much less heated . I think filming in HD solves the problem.

@AndresLa wrote:

Nicoceo, thanks for your input , I'll try. Please note that if video is filmed in HD ie 1280 x 720 30fps, the video quality is still very good and the battery problem disappears. The camera films for 30 minutes and cut , but not for low battery, because it seems that has an internal limit, and can shoot after another 25 minutes until the battery runs out, starting with a fully charged battery. That is almost an hour of video with no problem. I think the problem is that in Full HD video modes , the processing the camera must do, consumes much power and this high current produces a decrease of the battery voltage by the internal resistance and therefore the battery sensor of the camera, turn it off,  then when you turn on the camera again, the power consumption is low and shows a fully charged battery. It is remarkable the temperature that takes the camera, in the battery zone, when shooting in full HD . When shooting in HD is much less heated . I think filming in HD solves the problem.

Thanks for another solution on how to put a bandaid on the battery drain problem this camera has.  See also the tape over the battery contact solution, the carry plenty of spare batteries solution and the most effective solution - don't shot video with this camera.

Sorry for the sarcasm but it's one of those days.

I'm sending back number 5, we'll see how they screw me this time. Thanks canon, after this one it is a filing in small claims court.

I can understand your point in sending it back repeatedly but it is a total waste of time, if it hasn't been fixed by now it never will be.

Just one question are you getting the same camera back? Well, we don't know do we because all Canon needs to do is to swap the outer casing?

I would have given up hope the 2nd time afterwich I would have sought legal advice no matter the cost.

The only way to fix that camera is to clod it under a steam rollor, I doubt the SX700 isn't much different - I don't want to be knowing, there are far, far better cameras out there.

It seems Canon doesn't care two hoot's about their reputation these day's, don't go blaming Canon USA, Canon UK or Canon wherever - blame the heirachy, the Chief Sitting Bull...  if you work for a company you do as you are told or your out on your backside.

Dave

The SX700 doesnt have the battery issue.

I've just filmed 16.5 mins indoors with lots of full zooming. It stops because of the Fat32 4GB file size limit.  Then shot another 15 mins with lots of zooming.  I stopped it there.  Over half hour of 1080p60 video. No red light. Battery still at 3 bars.

Announcements