cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

You will have to return it, I sent my new one to canon and they sent a really screwed up refurbished one back, said the new one could not be fixed, they sent another and it's screwed up, return it to the store you bought it from if you still can.   I will keep sending them back until I get a new working model or a refund and will not buy another Canon product until this is taken care of.  I am totally disappointed in their service and really wary of buying anything from them now because of the way I've been treated by their lousy service.  THE rudest, condescending jerks on the phone EVER!  I paid for a working camera and I would like one please!!!  This problem should have been taken care of the first time I contacted them, not the third, fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh!  Wait a few months until new products have been tested and people start reporting problems before buying anything, had I read more I would have never bought the piece of junk.

has this problem been fixed??? 

No. And it never will be. Canon denies there's a problem and has released a new camera.

My camera is still under warranty but outside of the Amazon return window so I thought I would try sending to Canon to have it "repaired". It came back from Canon with the following service details...
"Your product has been examined and it was found that the circuit board contained a programme fault the battery wore out more quickly than normal. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the circuit board. Product functions were confirmed".

Well what do you think I did....test the product. I ran the video and got about 15 minutes before the red flashing light came on. I shut off the camera and resumed photo mode and voila, back to 4 bars...full battery. Switch back to video and red blinking battery icon again and again.

Canon, I will be calling to get more specific details on the repair. I would doubt 15 minutes is the normal "product function". My hopes is Canon will refund or replace with a better model.

Scott

I am baffled, are people still buying that SX280 or trying very hard to make it work properly in vain after  that massive evidence out there that it cannot be fixed?  It's not an exaggeration to say that at 100%, the  SX280 have all the red blinking battery issue after some light zooming and videoing. Canon should have recalled all of them and removed them from the shops. Period

@Bluestar48 wrote:

I am baffled, are people still buying that SX280 or trying very hard to make it work properly in vain after  that massive evidence out there that it cannot be fixed?  It's not an exaggeration to say that at 100%, the  SX280 have all the red blinking battery issue after some light zooming and videoing. Canon should have recalled all of them and removed them from the shops. Period

I'm baffled too.  Why are people holding on to the SX280? If a product is defective, dont their local laws offer any protection and allow them to receive a refund?  Or, if a company didnt do a product recall but gave people the option to wait while they fixed it, took their time, and the fix still failed.. then the warranty should still stand.  A company cant suddenly go, "Haha, we havent fixed it but now you're out of warranty. Too bad".

If you're in a backward country where there is no such protection then, 1.  Lobby to have your laws changed.  or 2. You really need to wait until a product is thoroughly tested by others before purchasing.

Good luck getting your money back.  The one thing that really got me upset was not the defective video recording but the mediocre pictures this camera takes comparing to other snopshots..

Thankfully I was able to return it  to Amazon.

rahmodi
Apprentice

This should be useful for charging batteries for SX280 HS on the go. I have not purchased this product yet. 
Car charger for NB-6l batteries

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-PowerShot/dp/B0049XV5LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

This may be better

• This Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit includes:
  • 1) Two (2) Wasabi Power batteries for NB-6L; each with 3.7V, 1300 mAh, Japanese cells
  • 2) One (1) Wasabi Power Mini Rapid A/C Charger for NB-6L with fold-out plug
  • 3) European plug and car adapter
  • 4) 3-year manufacturer warranty

this is what i bought 19.99

Well, got the reply from Amazon.. they will allow the return without a restocking fee, and credit back my original card..:-)  now I just gotta figure out which camera to get in place of the SX280.. is there anything even close to the same caliber without spending over 400?  I've decided that I don't really  need WIFI or GPS, but would like to stay with a point and shoot with a large zoom.  I already have an Elph 320, but the zoom is just not good enough.

Bumming me out because I really like this camera. (with the exception of the location of the flash).  Does anybody have faith that canon will get the problem fixed?

Announcements