cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I don't know where the guys from. Here in the UK we have a free Citizens Advice Bureau    (CAB) and Trading standards, we also have no win no fee folks, isn't  it the same in USA?

Sure I too will stay wide away from Canon now on.... I don't wanna be buying a product and then them not honoring the warranty - Canon deserves all they get AND I'd be writing to every forum and reviewers that I could find.

Did they give a reason, if not why not? One thing for sure that ain't a firmware fix so what does that say?

Dave

I believe these batteries are Lithium Ion. Since it is only 4.3V, it is a single cell battery. The 3rd pin is used to monitor the battery voltage. Li batteries cannot be discharged below a certain voltage (2.4V I believe). Once the cell goes below 2.4V, it is almost impossible to recharge the cell and you have a dead battery. Secondly, if you charge the cell above 4.3V, there is a good chace the cell will explode or catch fire. There is a small PCB in the battery which controls the voltage during charge and discharge. This is why you never disconnect the 'monitor pin'.

I have just used my new Innova 3300 to gauge my new and just charged Canon NB-6-L, and it shows 6.24 Volts, what can be wrong??

Check your multimeter aginst a new 9V battery or a regulated / switching mode power supply. I've never seen single cell Li batteries that high. Then again, I charge all my batteries with a balancing charger so I can't say whether all chargers will regulate to 4.3V.

9V PS reads 10.5V, 12 V reads 13.8V definetly the Innova is overreading, maybe I doing something bad and I can correct the readings?

The NB-6L is fine, it works with the SX280 HS and I use the Canon charger

"The PowerShot SX700 HS comes to stores in March priced at $349.99. And here's hoping Canon fixed the battery issues that we encountered with the SX280."

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx700-hs/4505-6501_7-35835072.html

But would people be dashing out and buying it, or will they wait, wait and wait? $344.99 is a lot of dough to gamble away.

Canon hasn't learned about the flash issue it seems.

Quote:  "This also signals the end of the Canon A-series PowerShots. There will be no more entry-level Canon compacts powered by AA-size batteries, so feel free to unload your Duracells." Unquote:

I do feel this is wrong, any camera that uses such must be a winner,  AA  batteries are available anywhere.

See this review-:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-sx700/canon-sx700A.HTM  Surprise surprise, they've changed the battery to a NB-6LH.... a midgets whisker of a difference!

Dave

I'm no expert on cameras but I have owned Canon cameras starting from my first AV-1 35mm film camera. I have been a canon fan but reading about everyones frustration and Canons less than ethical approach to the problem is making we want to rethink my loyalty.

Why should we believe that Canon SX700 fixes the problem. Canon has never owned up responsibility to the issue nor have they explained why the problem happened. Class action????

Here is what we know from the people who have posted their experiences:

- The battery problem happens mainly when you are taking movies.

- very few people reported problem when they are just taking photos

I have  the Canon SX50. Fantastic camera and I have taken movies and photos with no battery issues (I have a 1200mah battery).

The SX50 uses the DIGIC5 while the SX280 and SX700 uses the DIGIC6 processor.

The SX280 has wi-fi and GPS while the SX50 has neither.

So, the problem has to be with the DIGIC6 or the GPS / wi-fi processor or they might have combined the GPS/wifi capability into the DIGIC6 (I doubt that). Look at all the processing that a 1000mah battery has to support - image; GPS; wi-fi.

Maybe Canon set the low voltage trigger too high but they should have been able to fix that thru a firmware fix unless the levels are preset in the chip which would need a respin of the chip. If they did this, the SX700 may not have a problem.

Maybe the problem is with the battery - it dips too quickly and triggers the LVD circuit and this is why some people have reported that they can take movies for another 10-15 minutes after the flashing red battery warning. A good after market battery will solve this problem. Anyone experience this (I thought I saw a poster who said he did not have any problems after he bought a 1050mah after market battery)? Could this be why they changed battery supplier and got a 1050mah battery for the SX700.

I wonder what would happen if I turned off the GPS and wi-fi - anyone tried this and see if the battery life improved?

At the end of the day, it is a piddly little 1000mah battery and at best, I don't expect it to last for more than 30 minutes of movie taking.  If you zoom in and out - maybe less.

Too many maybe's......I should just go and get one from Best Buy for $190 and return it if it is unbearable.

Ok,  I had said that I won;t post but here is yet another post after that statement...

It is not the battery - owned the camera, tested it  It is not the WI FI /GPS  - owned the camera tested with and without.  
When the new CANON with 30X comes out it won;t have this problem - this is what CANON did,  came out with the same camera but with better zoom and this hardware problem fixed - it is most likely hardware as the software upgrades did nothing and CANON kept quiet after that.  So  camera hardware issue and has nothing to do with the battery. And only affects video and this is why they do not get that many complaints.  End of story.  

By the way - I love my 30X SONY HV50X - incredible video, good pictures.  Got it for $299,  This is the camera the new CANON is after and so is the new NIKON with 30X also.  What is next?  SONY will probably come up with a 40X and they will follow....
Bye

Hi loveAZ,

I just found your earlier post. Did you try an aftermarket battery? I'm curious about the hardware problem that can trigger the LVD circuit. I've seen Li batteries  that dip very low but bounce back as soon as you remove the load.

How bulky is the Sony? Will it qualify as a 'pocket camera' ? This is my second choice behind the Panasonic TZ40.

Appreciate you feedback on the wi-fi.

thanks.

Announcements