cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

OK, as I have used this camera:

It is not a battery issue, it is a camera issue,  battery is FULLY charged when the indicator blinks and will remain fully charged after you take several pictures and videos (even with the shut down on video).  

You can try all the batteries you want,  the indicator will come on within the first few minutes -  with CANON and non-CANON batteries  the camera  failed to record. 

Most people that reviewed this camera did not even bother to record more than a few minutes and concentrated on the picture taking side of it. This is what I noticed from Amazon and BB.

What you can do if you must keep this defective camera and want to keep on video recording:  do the trick with covering the middle metal clamp of any brand battery that is available for this camera and the camera will record and record and record - it does get HOT though and you won't know how much juice you have left. When charging it I think you need to uncover the middle clamp.

If you are not happy with this defective product and want to return it as I did,  you better hurry up.  

I recommend getting the SONY HX50V  (battery lasts and lasts and lasts,  20 MP resolution, 30X zoom, feels very sturdy, takes good pics (much better I think than the defective CANON),  great video and the best stabilization I have seen in this category, but it costs $299 (if you find it higher just wait a few days and they will drop the price again) .

And this is my last posting on this topic,  have a great evening,  goodbye all

169 and down on Amazon...

I,  my friends and my family don't believe and trust anymore on Canon.  That company doesn't respect their costumers....  Bye bye Canon 

I read an interesting review on Amazon. The reviewer made the point that Canon has let us all down. But, in addition, the professional reviewers in magazine, websites, and other sources have also let us down. I thought that was an excellent point.

How much can we trust reviewers who failed to point out the glaring problem with this camera. Specifically, an underdesigned battery. Why are there no follow up articles in the news organizations warning customers about the camera? Why are there no articles demonstrating that the firmware update did not fix the problem?

Jim

Perhaps Canon picks our money to buy their reviews....

This is why I never trust reviews - how do they make their money?

Think of the scenario-:

Canon brings a new Camera out.... would you be able to trust it? As said earlier if the reviewers said zebras had spots and elephants could whistle some folk would believe them.

After this fiasco I for one wouldn't certainly go and buy it... it would have to be seen being reliable, so that means waiting, waiting years after the release date.

Could you be sure they will give good service should it breaks down, how can you be sure its not like a S100 lens sticker or a SX280 and battery drainer, how can you be sure it will be fixed when you get it back?

As a major company Canon should have known to test their Cameras FULLY before release. One false product can spell disaster for a company. This is were Canon lacks credibility, they simply are not 'dependable' and loses trust.

They are not even shamed!

Dave

It's not unusual these days for major corporations to use customers as beta testers as they rush to get their newest technology to market. Think Apple and the iPod/iPhone/iPad. Most companies know there will be some hitches, and are prepared to fix/update the product along the way and heed customer complaints. Canon seems to be following a very different model here. They released a product with obvious flaws, refused to acknowledge the flaws (despite customer complaints), admitted there was a 'teensy' problem, released a half-hearted firmware update and told us to stop complaining - the problem is fixed, even if the battery meter lies to you. There's no possible way the "professional reviewers" don't know about this fiasco. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one option for those of us who've been burned - keep up the heat on Canon and tell everyone who'll listen that this camera (and the company that made it) sucks.

Jessica - Moderator<

I hope Canon is working on this as the longer it goes without resolution, the wider the dissemination and the worse the blow back on Canon.

I agree and so far they haven't been willing to admit that there's an issue. I can't recall having such negative customer service experience in quite awhile. Very disappointing so far.

One tech support person actually told me that there was no issue even if all of us have the problem with our cameras. There have to be lots more complaints than just all of us. It seems to me that even one person with an issue should be enough to offer a solution.

My replacement is arriving tomorrow so we'll see if it has the same issue.

I bought my SX280HS in Oct. 2013. I now realize that I can't shhot videos! I am planning a trip very soon and that is one reason I bought this camera.

Yes, after seconds of video shooting, the battery warning comes up and the camera shuts down. An off/on says full battery and I can take stills but no video?

Yes, I have tried all the suggestions that I saw: Battery and card out for 1 minute and then a half hour

I downloaded the upgrade from the Canon site

etc.

Help, I really would like to have the camera operating, will I have to return it?

Thank you.                              

Announcements