cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I'm sorry, but I had the camera Canon Ixus 220HS and this problem I do not know now. I made a lot of videos 1920x960 without any problems. With this type SX280 of 'm unhappy. I still believe that Canon do something about it ! Next week I will contact Canon service in Prague and ask if they are able to remove this problem. Otherwise, go back camera and I demand the money back.

Last September I bought the SX280, kept it for a week, but ended up returning it due to the battery issues.  Video is important to us, and not knowing remaining battery life wasn't satisfactory.

I continued to monitor this thread and the Amazon reviews, and at some point towards the end of the year I finally realized that Canon was not going to resolve the issue.  Our prior 2 cameras were Canons, so kind of saddened by this.

Recently we bought a Panasonic Lumix ZS20.  Prices have dropped as newer models have been released.  The ZS20 is comparable in spec to the SX280 and a fantastic little camera. I highly recommend it as an alternative for those of you who are still considering the SX280 but must have satisfactory video function.

Jim

jimrac:

As far as I know the SX and TZ are the same cameras  SX for USA models and TZ for European models.  Wasn't there a dust problem with the TZ series?

Let that be no deterrent because the other day I was watching a video on how to strip the lens and clean it.... and it looked quite easy as long as you are able to handle the tiny screws - it seems a peice of cake to do.

Reason I was looking at this is, I was thinking of getting the TZ30/40 then I looked at the Sony HX50 and slowly 'digging the weeds'.

I was gonna get the SX270/280 as you know they are the same except the gps gimmick, then I looked at the Canons SX50 of which the response seems 'so-so' and declined because of the way Canon were treating their customers.

I do use their A650 IS, I say that was a great camera, be even greater if they forget all the gimmicks and put a x20 lens on it. I'll certainly be buying no more Canon printers thats for sure - their ink tanks are getting smaller and smaller and sometimes I can be waiting a minute before it decides to print - but this is another story and would take this off-topic.

Looking at their S100 len sticking problem which is a known problem, I'd say Canon is on a downhill route right now.... when I return a camera I don't wanna be getting a refurbished unit someone else has had - another thing thats puts me off 'big style' buying Canon products.

Dave

Hi Davy,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the zs20 and tz30 are the same models, the name is different depending on the country.

I was aware of the potential dust issue from my research.  We are treating that as a risk and will be extra careful or not use the camera in situations where there is a lot of particulate in the air.

One of the reasons we went for the ZS20 instead of the newer Panasonic models was partially due to the dust risk.  ZS20 is currently $160US, so much less painful then $350-$450 if we do have some issue.

I did see that youtube cleaning video, which was very cool for him to put together.  My recollection is that- unfortunately - his process applies to older Panasonics, and the ZS20 or newer models have a lens that is much more difficult to get at.  Cleaning still might be possible, but much trickier.  (Unless there is a more recent video that I am unaware of.)

Anyway, knowing all that, we still love the camera.  Very fast focus, love the burst shooting.  Can shoot stills while shooting movies.  20x zoom is great.  Stabilization is amazing.  Don't like the in-camera charging, but I'll be buying an external charger eventually.  Has a panorama mode, but haven't tried it yet.

Sorry for hijacking this thread!!!!  Let's get back to SX280 woes now!!!!

Jim

Davy,

Sorry to hear about your printer experience. My SX280 is bad, but my printer MX895 has been a dream. Yes the tanks are small, but I refill them myself. Took a bit of practice, but now I can refill all five tanks is about 20 mins.

Off topic I know. Apologies.

Jim

It's 'I' who should do the apologising for bringin the subject up, you guy's just responded to my post - I'm the guilty one here.

Back on topic... what they'er gonna do with all the SX280? Many reviews I read there's always complaints and many being returned either back to canon or place of purchase.

Dave

Dave,

I have no idea what Canon will do. They have a problem with a relatively inexpensive item. Yes we spent bucks for the camera, but they make much less than that. My guess is that they have found the problem. (It is not a battery problem.) They sat down and calculated the hit they would take to their reputation and balanced that off against the hit they take to the bottom line. Whatever equation they used came up on the side of having customers upset and perhaps not buying more Canon equipment. A recall would be very expensive. Moreover it would also tarnish the reputation. Since every customer who bought one would find out about the problem, the hit to their reputation might be even worse than stonewalling.

It could also be a middle or higher level manager who refuses to admit there is a problem because it would make him or her look bad. I have worked under and with such people. Perhaps you have as well. Like all large companies, Canon would likely have their share of managers who will do anything to cement their position in the company at the expense of the client.

Pure speculation on my part.

I am certain that this is not a battery problem. Almost every poster talks about the problem recurring with Canon branded replacement batteries. Also taping the middle contact "fixes" the battery depletion warning. This means that the problem cannot be a battery problem. It is in the sensor or in the downstream software or hardware.

Jim

I also think that. But the result is that Canon loses clients... Canon sucks

The way the battery monitor works is they measure the 'end voltage',  as soon has it monitors a drop in the terminal voltage off it goes there isn't anything magical about this.

Whatever it is it's seeing the end voltage pretty quickly but yet will continue in still mod after a repower - namely a reset. To flatten a 3.7V Li-ion in a few minutes gotta be drawing a hefty lot of current in video mode.

Probably Canon ul let Del Boy buy em' on cheap!

Davy

Dave,

Good thought. The problem could be an underdesigned battery that cannot maintain voltage under heavy load. It would also explain the heating that some report. I don't think the battery becomes fully depleted in 20 seconds of video recording. Many of the reports say the camera will run fine in still mode for extended periods after getting the automatic shutdown in video mode. My experience is exactly that.

As a science experiment it would be interesting to hook up a much larger battery to see if the problem goes away. (Yes this is Canon's responsibility not mine. But interesting nonetheless.)

That might also explain Canon's silence about the problem. To correct the problem, they would have to replace every camera sold so far with a redesigned camera. One with a bigger battery. That would be expensive for the company.

Jim

Jim

Announcements