cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Hi Davy,

I've read most of the  pages and am just speaking to my own limited experience. A Canon battery came with the camera and I bought a couple of third party aftermarket ones to try out.

I'm not casting doubt on the experience of others, just sharing what's going on with me for what it's worth. My camera is still within the return period and based on my experience I'm inclined to keep it. If it keeps performing as it has so far I think it will work for me.

Best wishes, John

Just bought one of these, put the latest firmware on it, shooting video,fully charged genuine canon battery, after 3-4 min the battery flashes and it turns itself off. My 240hs used to shoot video fine for ages.

Yes, the 90+ pages of complaints sure do confirm this behavior. You can also expect the camera to tell you to recharge the battery just before it shuts down even though the battery is fully charged.

The symptoms you describe are identical to so many others. Indeed, identical to mine. There is a workaround listed here. It will mean that you do not have any indication of the battery state.

My opinion is that the problem is in the battery voltage sensing circuit or downstream from there. It is not a battery problem.

I am trying to decide whether to send mine in. My problem is that I bought the camera in the USA but live in Spain. The expense is unlikely to be worth the effort.

The camera will only perform worse. If you decide to use it in still mode, it will intermittently misread the battery and shut down. The video setting is not a requirement for problems.

If I lived in the USA, my decision would be a no brainer, send it back. Insist you get one that works properly.

The problem is well known. It is bad that Canon does not acknowledge the problem and fix it. It is nearly criminal that they continue to sell a clearly defective product.

Jim

Jrecords,

Alas, when I first bought the camera, I recorded a 45 min video. It worked just fine at the start. The camera has deteriorated.  My initial battery and the replacement that I bought were both Canon branded from from a major US electronics chain.

I hope that your experience will be different and that the camera will continue to function correctly.

Jim

im amazed they havent recalled the camera,  they just seem to be ignoring the issue

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thanks again for all of your valuable comments on this topic. We’ve confirmed premature display of low battery level while shooting in movie mode with the PowerShot SX280 HS. We are currently working towards a resolution and will provide an update shortly.

Thanks, Cannon, for admitting to an obvious flaw that your customer service reps so adamantly denied. Thanks for treating me and other customers like we didn't know what we were talking about. Thanks for convincing me to return your lemon of a camera so I could go out and buy a Nikon that's better. I'm sure the customers who decided to stick it out will thank you for resolving the problem quickly - and I'm sure future customers will thank you for treating their concerns and complaints like they matter.

The Nikon you bought (P330) is a different kind of camera than the SX280.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.  Issues with new cameras occurs regularly.  The Nikon D600 oil on sensor is an example for Nikon. 

I am comparing apples and oranges, actually. The Nikon works. The Canon didn't. My battery issue with the Canon occurred while I was on vacation - and my batteries actually died. For me, this wasn't just some software issue. I lost photos because Canon decided to use me and others as a beta tester, then took a high and mighty attitude when I tried to report the problem. I dealt with FOUR customer service reps, including a supervisor, who acted like I was imagining something. Even if they refused go on Amazon, YouTube and the many other links I provided, you'd think they'd at least have looked at THIS forum, where the problem was reported in a couple of threads. I and others were told that Canon was unaware of any reported problems. The supervisor wrote: "Such poor battery performance is not common.  The several PowerShot SX280 HS cameras we have here in our office all perform within specifications." You contend that "Issues with new cameras occurs (sic) regularly. Guess what? My Nikon works just fine, thanks. And I don't know how many P330s you've owned (I'm guessing none) but it IS the same kind of camera - except, of course, that it can shoot video for 5 minutes without shutting down. Giving companies like Canon a pass for faulty products and bad customer service is only inviting more of the same. 

Announcements