cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

glisten
Contributor

I too bought the camera but use video very little so did not see the problem early. I did get the warning to recharge the battery after only 30 seconds in still mode. So I assumed a bad battery and bought a new one. Problem was not solved. I performed the firmware upgrade. Problem was not solved. This is not a battery life issue. I have checked the battery voltage over and over again. This is not due to defective batteries.

Today the camera was really messing up. It was shutting down in seconds on a newly charged battery. Often without retracting the lens.

I read about taping the middle contact on the battery and tried it. Voila, the camera performs flawlessly. No battery indicator, but all other functions are perfect.

The problem is in the voltage detector or in software reading the voltage detector's output.

I am so happy  that my earlier post about taping the battery help.For me work great.

Something I did notice is the heat the camera dissipates while making videos, really gets hot so it really consumes power and so it may be possible the battery isn't up to the task.

yes, I really appreciate it.

I was travelling in the USA when I bought the camera. I live in Spain, so returns are difficult. Even so, some of the other posts are compelling. After all, the only thing that I can do to show my displeasure is to send the camera back. I have little expectation that the problem will be fixed. So I will have to think about wether the time and expense are worth it.

Once again, thanks for the work around. It is most helpful.

Let's be clear that this tape workaround doesn't solve the problem with the SX280. You're just left with a different problem. Yes, the camera may shoot photos and video - but you have no idea when it's going to give up on you. Do you really want to be guessing how much battery life you have left every time you pick up the camera? Maybe that priceless moment you're capturing will end up on the memory card - maybe the camera will just unceremoniously shut off. It's a gamble. And Canon has stated in no uncertain terms that shorting the battery is DANGEROUS. Are you really willing to risk your home burning down in an effort to make a faulty camera work (sort of) like it was designed? I can't believe a few posters here are patting themselves on the back for finding this "fix" that is nothing of the sort. Are you really so wedded to the Canon brand that you feel it's your responsibility to make this camera work? 

Union,

These are valid points. I had initially written the word fix in my post, but changed it to work-around for that very reason. Astorki is to be commended for finding such a simple work-around.

The downsides you point out are real. You are absolutely correct about the battery indicator. I risk running out of battery power just when I might want it. Not an optimal situation. The battery fire is a consideration, but in my experience unlikely. I have experience with much larger batteries in RC aircraft. I have even done destructive testing in controlled conditions. That experience leads me to believe the small camera battery could damage the camera and might slightly damage furniture, but is unlikely to start an open flame capable of setting the house alight.

Please understand, this is purely my personal evaluation based on personal experience. It is in no way a recommendation for anyone else. You are correct. The potential exists for catastrophic failure and fire.

My other problem is that there will be time and expense to ship the camera across the Atlantic. Canon will not ship internationally either way. Then a friend will have to receive the unit and forward back to me. That will be at least $100 right there.

So, I am still considering the next step. I do appreciate the help I have gotten from several members in this forum. Vastly better than most fora.

My intention isn't to criticize any of the posters here. But I don't think any
of us should be willing to let Canon off the hook easily. This company treated loyal customers like chumps. I had a customer service SUPERVISER all but laugh in my face and say there was no problem with the sx280 - and that I was free to take my business elsewhere if I didn't like the way I was being treated. I did exactly that. But I've also gone out of my way to tell anyone who'll listed how Canon screwed up - and continued to screw it's customers by ignoring this problem. Finding workarounds doesn't send the message to Canon that they mess with customers at their own peril.

Did everything as well.   But you should not accept a defective product if you can still return it.  Side by side comparison with SONY HX50V when reducing the SONY's MPs to match CANON's produces better detail pictures by SONY (at first I was not as bothered with the battery problem but with the CANON's picture quality that simply wasn't  impressive, also it started bothering me that the CANON was getting hot after 10 minutes of recording), close to  550 pics per battery charge at the lower MPs  ( 400  at 20 MPs), much longer zoom (30X),  better flash (it is located where it should be and it is manual so you do not get noticed),  better stabilization.  I bought the SONY for $299 from BB but Amazon offers this price often.  Also the SONY camera gets charged from your laptop,  wall socket, and car  (bought the package with 2 extra batteries for $17.99 although I doubt I will need to use them). Never settle for a defective item 

jrecords
Apprentice

Hi, I just got an SX280. Wanted to let you know that in my case, a fully-charged Canon battery shoots video fine, it seems, without the flashing battery warning.

However, using a generic battery, which is notably lighter in weight than the Canon battery even though it is marked 1400 mah, shooting video and using a little zoom immediately activated the flashing battery warning light. However, it shot about 20 min of video after that.

Thanks for all your posts on this, and I hope the problems resolve. John

jrecords:

Wow, hang on a bit., are you suggesting everyone is using generic batteries, are Canon really supplying these with their cameras?

If you care to read  the pages,  these cameras have come back from Canon with the same fault... their replacements have done exactly the same... so that ain't generic, 3rd party batteries call them what you will.

The batteries folks are using are what they got with the Camera..... care to tell us the model number or product code?

Davy

Announcements