cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Thanks.

Thanks dswansonil - spot on, you saved me an explantion.

Guess I should have put it a different way.... yes I KNOW the GPS is a battery drain,  is it any worse than the others, I thought  this might have provided a clue?

If it isn't then doesn't then does that not imply there is nothing wrong with the battery and that the digi 6 processor engine could the problem, being power hungery.

The zoom motor is a zoom motor, admit it's carrying extra weight which will cause extra torque on the motor thus increasing it's drive current consumption... just thinking others camaras has  x20 optical and they don't suffer so does this not point down to the processor?

Whatever the cause, Canon did not clearly test the camera..... or they supplied a lower capacity battery to save cost. If they knew about the problem and thought they could get away with it then it's a very sad state of affairs, same if they didn't see the problem.

Canon has only themselves to blame, these complaints are plastered all over the internet.

This problem has been going on for nearly over 4 months, and this has been debated to death here, I can't understand why people are still buying that junk and I also don't know why some people are not getting the message from canon that they don't care and are not going to come up with a proper fix, not now and not in the future.

dmw
Contributor

Same problem here, with an SX280HS purchased Nov-2013, with firmware 1.0.2 already installed. After full charge, In still-photo mode, it shows a full battery and takes pictures, but if you switch to movie mode and just use the zoom once, it shows the red flashing empty battery and then shuts down with a "Charge battery" message briefly displayed. Clearly the power consumption in that mode is triggering a low-voltage sensor even when the full battery has plenty of energy left in it.

Canon, fix this. I am in Hong Kong. Will someone in the USA please launch a class action law suit? After 92 pages of complaints on this thread, this is obviously not an isolated problem.

Look at the top of page 92 and you'll see that the MODERATOR edited a post by astorki. Yes, folks, Canon, has been monitoring these complaints all along - and is well aware that its loyal customers are complaining. They've just plain don't care.

Breaking news, just heard Canon management has just instructed his Customer Service staff to wear EARMUFFS, so please stop complaining, they can't hear you.  Smiley Frustrated

Welcome to the club.

Dear friend for now you can use it this small trick but is not complete solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsy5E7bh2Y

The COMPLETE solution is returning the camera and buying one that actually works. That worked for me!

Geesh, just been reading on Amazon, there's loads n' loads sending em' back, some complaining of flash not working. It makes folks on here lacking!

Gotta stay away from this lot, how can you trust them with any new product now... looks like the S100 another one,  a 'lens sticker' this one.

Bet there's a load of proud people at Canons HQ in Ōta, Tokyo, TKY, Japan, probably 'desk banging'.

Dave

Announcements