cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

We must be patient and await some solution from Canon? Sorry, but Canon has already told us all to shut up and be satisfied because there is no problem. Don't take my word for it. Scroll back through the last 89 pages of this thread. This problem was reported right after the sx280 was released. Canon initially refused to believe the problem was widespread. When it became clear it was, Canon released a firmware update and declared the problem solved, even though complaints persist. Every once in a while some Canon fan (I used to be one) pops up here and stands up for Canon's good name - something Canon won't do, incidentally. Then they suddenly realize the sx280 sucks - and return it in disgust, or keep it and feel like crap because it's too late. Best of luck to anyone who's bought this camera, and a word of caution to anyone considering it.

If you pay for a new one it  better work fine.  Ended up returning it, getting the NIKON S9500 (nice camera) and finally now the SONY HX50V with 30X zoom dor $299 (really amazing video, battery stretch,   and zoom).. 

Kurzschluss = short circuit

Help, help, Meine Kameras in Brand     ....... my cameras on fire

die firemans kein Wasser, helfen               ....... the firemans no water

Sod die Canon, lass es brennen             .......  Sod the Canon, let it burn.

Davy

Seriously now, I doubt Canon intends to cure this problem.  Im sure isn't a firmware problem, do you really think they would have let it rolled on so long giving them a bad name?  My bet if they do find a cure they will bring it out under another model and not the SX280 - that would cost them dear and would have to tend everyone.

Just one question, did they really put this through it's paces before release - if they did sack those on the job!

Obviously a step back from the SX260 with the sounds of things, whats the difference apart from the processor engine.

I doubt very much you'll see a difference between a 1000mA and a 1150mA/Hr cell - yes you will if the battery uses a different build technology, i.e Ni-cad, Li-on etc. for want of an example.... different battery construction have differing 'end voltages'.

Standby for the SX280 Mk2... with a external motor bike battery!

Davy

give it a try, it costs 8 dollars (the Vivitar battery), it worked for me...what else can I say...

I am thinking buying the SX270, can anyone please let me know if this camera has a battery problem with video too. BestBuy is selling it for $210 + 12% tax here in Vancouver and I am here until this Friday. If there is no battery problem I might buy it this Thursday before I leave.

The SX270 has exactly the same problem. Best avoided if you don't want to be disappointed. 

Thanks you have made me save $235. CHEERS

Today i receive two 1500mah battery from UK and problem still exist.

which brand?

I couldn't make a 3 seconds video before, as soon as touched the zoom the camera turned off, now I have made a 2 minutes video moving all the time the zoom lever in and out, al the time the battery indicator was full.

Announcements