cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I use the original Canon charger that came with the SX280 HS, what happens if after the charger completes the charge and the green light is on, I repeat the charging procedure? Would it charge more amperes to the battery??

Now you guys are really "getting into the weeds" as they say. 

Whether the difference in the labeled and measured battery voltage is of consequence is not significant. The camera and battery are what they are and won't change, and the perfomance of the system is what it is.  Either the SX280 works for your use or it doesn't. 

The constant message in this thread is that it works if you want to shoot stills and like the picture quality, but that it doesn't work if you want to shoot a lot of video and know how much shooting time you have left..

I was told the new version of the Canon NB-6L (the one that comes with the S120)  has a 1060mAh capacity instead of the 1000 mAh the old version had. Could it be what Canon is doing to try and improve these cameras's performance ?

@bradmoss wrote:

I was told the new version of the Canon NB-6L (the one that comes with the S120)  has a 1060mAh capacity instead of the 1000 mAh the old version had. Could it be what Canon is doing to try and improve these cameras's performance ?

6% battery performance increase?  So now we go from an unknown number of video minutes remaining to an unknown number plus one or two?  I don't think it will get us all repurchasing our 280s. Smiley Frustrated

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

yes, I guess that's the reason they didn't make a lot of fuzz about it, it was a quite "silent" modification to the battery

I have bought a "new" SX280 from Amazon on January 2014 and the battery says it was manufactured on April 2013. What would you think, Is it important? What is the expected life of the NB-6L battery ?

Have you read any of the 800 + pages of complaints concerning this camera on this web site? The multitudes of complaints have also spilled over to other web sites including Amazon's, DP Review and a few more. Good luck and don't expect much help from Canon.  

Sorry, should be 80 + pages of complaints, not 800.

The battery was manufactured on April 2013 because that's when the sx280s started rolling off the assembly line. It's not important. An NB-6L is an NB-6L. You can expect precisely the same experiences that we've all been reporting. The camera is a lemon. Period.

I cant really get convinced, it can't be true with all the specialized reviews and noone saying nothing about this.

Announcements