cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Exactly the same.

I do not know if you return

naruamil17
Apprentice

Canon is going back to old processor but better performance:

SX600 HS

16.0 Megapixel HighSensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor

Available in March, 2014

Hope all work fine in new model.

The SX600HS appears to be Canon dumbing down the 260 and the 280sx. The removal of manual shooting modes

is placing this camera in the same league as the Sony WX300. My 260 with its manual modes and no problems with video recording looks even better. I was hoping for a sx290 (improved 280 with the video problem resolved)

As  the SX260 is being nentioned,  would anyone recommend that I  return the SX280 ( with the well known issue and not particularly good pics) for the SX260???
Or go with SX510???  Or return and wait for the new SX600 ??? They all seem to use the same batteries and I have several extra.
I have 3 weeks to decide, so far I have seen better pics in the LIVE  mode than the AUTO of the SX280.
Thanks 

miltk
Contributor

would anyone like to guesstimate what percentage of the 280's have this problem. i prefer this model over the 260 and would take a chance on it because amazon has a great return policy...no skin off my nose. but if this is an across the board issue i won't waste my time

thx

@miltk wrote:

would anyone like to guesstimate what percentage of the 280's have this problem. i prefer this model over the 260 and would take a chance on it because amazon has a great return policy...no skin off my nose. but if this is an across the board issue i won't waste my time

thx

I'll go wth 99.9999999999999999%

From what we've seen, the battery problem appears to be strictly limited to sx280s that we're manufactured on days ending in the letter "y." Please buy it and tell us what happens.

4thFootPvt
Contributor
Who knows? They may know but they are not telling you. They may be sending out remanufactured cameras with taller battery contacts. But they may not be telling us. either way it's nice to have a simple fix for a complex problem.

There is a fix for the SX280/SX270 but Canon are too proud to tell you, clod them under a steam rollor! The SX280 is no longer manufactured.

As far as I can tell, apart from any firmware  differences there is only one difference with the SX700 and that the battery has 60mA/Hrt more capacity - 60mA WOW that will go a long way to a midgets whisker.

Use a 200A/hr car battery and regulator in a rucksack, probably that would go flat !!!!

There wasn't all this bother with the SX260 so does this not point towards the new processor? One local camera shop has never stocked the SX270/280 from day one, they have never had them in stock but they do advertised them on the web.

Canons attitude sure puts me off their products, I bought a new camera I would be wanting a replacment should it go faulty under warranty. The Panasonic or Sony version will beat the pants of these two Canon models regarding battery life.

Simple as shelling peas, Canon either did not test this Camera before release or they release it ignoring the battery problem, whatever this will lose a lot of Canon customers, some no doubt loyal customers.

A bit like their printers, smaller and smaller ink tanks, longer and longer cleaning cycles - and they want us to use their inks.... no way!

If Canon can't fix it AND they haven't - I doubt anyone else can since it's 'their baby'.

Dave

The problem with returning under warranty was read in the posts here...people got back refurbs that were worse than their original and no problems were solved so I'm sticking with the slight added pressure on the battery. NOT covering anything on the battery but the battery lid. I must say I am very surprised that an established company like Canon would have this problem and not solve it for their reputation.

Announcements