cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Right, so if a different battery doesn't solve the problem, then clearly the camera is the issue and not the battery. I can also confirm that a different battery did not fix the problem for me.

That said, I returned my SX280 as I just couldn't deal with the unpredictability and unreliability. I also don't see me buying another Canon product in the future as I dislike the way they handled this problem. It's clearly still an issue, but they refuse to take ownership of it and make it right, nor will they even acknowledge that it is still an issue.

I ended up getting a Sony HX50V instead. It is a bit thicker, but it also packs a 30x zoom lens in there, and an excellent IS system. Honestly, image quality is quite good, and it even rivals the SX280 in terms of low light performance; this surprised me. There are a couple of things I would change about it in terms of design (i.e. manual flash pop-up), but nothing big...and it actually works as advertised.

The worse part is that Canon will not admit they manufactured a lemon to avoid a recall. Instead, they are sending out batteries for those who complain.

For those thinking of purchasing the SX280, DON'T!!! I kept mine thinking Canon was going to fix it and now I can't return it back. I will sending it in to Canon so I will be out of a compact [since I have to carry 4 batteries] camera for a couple of months.

Anyone interested in buying a hardly used camera?

Quote: "I will sending it in to Canon so I will be out of a compact [since I have to carry 4 batteries] camera for a couple of months."

Don't bother to send it in to Canon. It comes back the same as it was when you sent it. They say it is fixed but it's not! Last Canon product I will ever buy.

Thanks a lot, as I'm in time , I'm going to return my camera .... Any idea to bay other camera with 20x ?

Panasonic ZS-30

Sony ZS-30. Very interesting. My next camera. Shame shame shame on you Canon !!

Ruko was one of the few people in this thread who believed Canon's fix even came close to working. It appears he's now joined the multitude of us who feel completely burned by Canon and this lemon of a camera. If you got this camera for Christmas, my advice is to RETURN IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! Canon won't even acknowledge there's a problem - so don't bet your money on a fix that will probably never come.

Yes I believed in Canon because Canon has been very good to me in the past. In fact the firmware download did work initially, but after about a month of intermittent battery charging, wife takes hundreds of pics, the camera now shows low battery all the time during video. It also now will not turn on unless the button is pushed several times and sometimes she has to remove/install the battery to get it to come on. Also a slight jar will turn off the camera. Canon really should do something about their lemon..

@ruko wrote:

Sony ZS-30. Very interesting. My next camera. Shame shame shame on you Canon !!

If you've got the money and are interested in low light video like indoor basketball, look at the Panasonic FZ200.  The fixed length 2.8 lens is worth the money.

@Jason wrote:

Hi everyone, to keep you and your gear safe we don't recommend do-it-yourself modifications, such as covering the middle pin with tape. In fact, doing this will interrupt important circuits that could cause unsafe conditions, such as overheating. We strongly advise against modifying the battery in any way.

Hey Jason 

Do ya think there might really be something wrong with this camera? Why is Canon screwing up so much? Is it management? Do they know how ridiculous this situation is?

Announcements