cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I wonder if Canon have not already washed their hands on that issue.?  Kind of indirectly saying: "Tough Luck"

Another question, this bug is only to 280HS or the 270 have the same problem?

I don't think there has been a Canon response since the firmware update came out.  They essentially said at that time the problem was fixed.  New Powershots have been announced so I doubt there is much concern about an "old" camera like the SX-280.  And yes, the same problem exists in the SX-270. 

While the new G16 sounds good I'm sure not going to be an early adopter.  Same thing goes for the EOS 70D.  If you have to have a camera like the SX-280 and are interested in video I'd suggest the SX-260, which takes excellent video.  If you need WiFi, GPS and the bells and whistles plus video take a look at the ZS30.   

I really don't understand why CANON doens't fix that IMPORTANT ERROR. I see that SX280HS it will by always connected to that fiasco....

Please tell me there are any users that don't have this problem? There are sx280 with no problem?

If a purchaser had NO ISSUES with the sx280- they would be happily using the camera- and would NOT POST HERE!

mcasale16  maybe you are right, but i ask the people here if they know anyone (eg, a friend) with a Sx280 with no problem. Because if all SX280 have this problem i will send't back....

Check out the reviews on Amazon.  The latest two still complain about the battery warning light problem among other things

I also bought mine last week on Canon.  Because the camera cames with 1.0.1 firmware i have made the update,  so i think is a camera built before the May update. So all the 280SX have this problem..... 

I also updated the firmware and I thought it helped but only for the first video. After that, the battery indicator is again red on video mode, even when fully charged for photos. Camera is great except for this irritating problem. Canon, please fix this problem!

Announcements