cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Amazon just got back to me and even though I'm over the 30 days they are taking the camera back and giving me a full refund!!! Time to find a camera that actualy works correctly....

My 280SX is also on the way back to the vendor...just dropped it off at UPS. Good luck to the rest of you. I hope Canon eventually comes through with a fix or you learn to accept what Canon has designed for your photographic needs.

@scupking wrote:

Amazon just got back to me and even though I'm over the 30 days they are taking the camera back and giving me a full refund!!! Time to find a camera that actualy works correctly....

Sony WX300

Has anyone out there appied the firmware update and had the battery warning/shutdown problem fixed as a result?

I applied the firmware update to my SX280HS.  However, I am still experiencing a mistaken low battery warning followed by shutdown.  If I restart the camera it show 3 to 2 bars of charge at which point I can shoot another minute of video before the next shutdown at which point I can repeat the process.  Not a great user experience!  I would like to have a fix offered or have the ability to return the camera for a refund.  Is Canon offering any hope of an eventual solution?

This camera is a dud, one of the worst compact that has ever been released, Canon should have recalled that lemon long time ago.

The camera came out the end of April- I have been a member of this forum since early May- I know of no one who downloaded the firmware and determined that their camera was cured. I worked with Canon Techs and tried 3 different cameras all with the firmware upgrade and all of them still had an issue while taking movies. With my camera I CAN take a minimum of 25 minutes of video (Canon's claim)- usually MORE- but yes the blinking signal begins at some point while recording.

I kept the camera because I rarely take video and the still shots are TERRIFIC. I purchased batteries which last longer than Canon's-so I am always prepared to change out the battery before somehting memorable.  I just went to a concert- I was a football field away from Tim McGraw- in the pitch black night (outdoors) and I have pictures of him on the stage - so crisp  that you can see the muscle tone of his arms down to the veins sticking out. The photos are phenominal! It is too bad the camera has the blinking battery issue- I hope that someday Canon will address it- but for now- I am totally enjoying the camera- It is definitely an individual choice- whether this camera will serve you well.

I too ended up keeping the camera.  Disregarding the video battery issues, the camera is excellent.  When the vide is recording, it does a very good job.  I have recorded approximately 20-minute videos with considerable zooming on a partial battery, flashing away like crazy.  The 20-minute length was only because I hit the 4 GB size limit.  I could restart the video and conitnue for many more minutes.  The greatest part of the issue with the flashing and power-down is that you really have no idea when the camera willl turn off.  95% of my use is stills.  I can live with the quirks with recording, mainly zooming while recording.

Now, mcasale16 - you mentioned that you purchased batteries that last longer than Canon's.  What are those batteries: name, model, etc.?

Here are the batteries I use in the sx280- I love them- no complaint and price is right =Wasabi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049XV5LM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a official battery, i have made the official firmware upgrade and everything remains the same. I bought this camera to everything work. But i can't make videos... The red icon appears some minutes after the full hd mode recording video... I will return the camera to CANON and buy a NIKON or SONY that really works...
CANON you must to fix that or at least withdraw the video function because if the camera was only for photos was a good device ... but i bought a camera that saids it can record videos...

scupking
Enthusiast

As much as I like the photo quality and the 20x zoom I think I will return this and go with the Nikon P330.

Announcements