cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I have been on vacation for 8 days now with my pany zs19 only had to charge the battery once. Also very impressed with the auto mode. Don't see any reason anyone would want to deal with the issues of the sx280.

your last firmware   1.0.2.0  doesn`t  fix problems with short life with _Zooming_ video!

😞

sadly

Update on ZS30.  I just returned from a family vacation and gave the Panny a good workout.  It's a great travel camera, just like the Powershots were.  Here are the negatives I found with the camera.  (1)  The zoom is basically an on/off switch and it's difficult to frame a still exactly the way you want it.  The Canon zoom control is vastly better.  (2)  The movie switch is tiny and flush with the camera body, making it difficult to find and activate.  I turned the camera off several times while fumbling for the movie switch.  There is no way you are going to operate the movie switch with gloves on, something that's easy with a Powershot.  (3)  Not having a separate battery charger is a pain because you can't use the camera and charge a battery at the same time.  (4)  The lens isn't remotely close to being weather sealed.  Don't even think about using it in a dusty environment.  I used mine briefly in a very windy environment and ended up with dust particles between lens elements.  This is a common problem with any telescoping lens arrangement but I'd say Powershots have a tighter seal than the Panny.

Positive surprises with the ZS30:  (1)  Image stabilization is outstanding.  It's the best I've ever seen and I've used a bunch of cameras.  (2) Continuous shooting modes have a high  frame rate and produce great stills.  (3)  60p footage is much smoother than 30p  (4)  Wind filter works and actually has an effect on sound recording.  (5)  Battery indicator works like it should and gives reliable warnings.  When it comes on, finish the shot and change the battery.  Really simple.

Summary:  Until Canon fixes the battery issue the ZS30 is a good alternative.  Maybe the SX300 will be the perfect camera. 

Thanks for the great review of the ZS30 performance.  Do you have any idea what the maximum 60p movie battery life was between fully charged and discharged?

I shot exclusively in 60p but didn't time how long the battery lasted.  I shot like I always do on vacation trips and it seemed to drain a battery a little quicker than my old SX230 did but I have no hard numbers.  I have a spare battery and that was all I needed.  The 60p footage is so nice the only time I leave it is for the 120 fps slow motion, which is done in 30p 

I just finished an informal battery life test on the ZS30 using the supplied 1250mAH battery.  I set it on the highest quality setting for AVCHD video 1920 x 1080 60p and turned it on.  The camera will record for 29:59 and then stops so you have to restart it after this break.  The camera was not moving, nor was the subject so the auto focus and exposure were probably not drawing much power.  The camera ran for an hour and 12 minutes before the battery warning came on.  It continued to run for another 5 minutes before shutting down, for a total record time of 1:17:00.  Seems to me that's pretty descent performance.  Obviously, you'll get less out of the battery in real world use but I'd think around an hour should be possible.   

Sounds good.  I wish I could find one locally to test out myself but nobody seems to carry them except on line.

I very nearly pre-ordered a SX280, sure glad I didn't thanks to you guys otherwise I'd have been wanting my money back  which wouldn't pass me by easily, the shop where I went to refuse to stock the SX270/280 - what does that tell you?

If there is anyone at Canon who has a blood supply to their brain cells they would know to test the next product inside and out - thouroughly before release! They would also know their behaviour over this is not exactly 'stellar', no doubt they've put quite a few people off and maybe the name Canon itself.  They either did not test the SX280 or thought they would get away with it... and yes one guy I saw had a SX280, the zooming was that loud he swapped it for Sony.

Myself, I would be very wary of buying another Canon camera. Seeing this is  a monumental issue if  Canon had any reasonable attitude at all they would allow those that are not satisfied with their SX280 to exchange it for another product with cash refund or cash adjustment.

Sorry Canon you've let me down, so I'm gonna let you by not buying Canon eagerly in future, unless it CAN be seen you mended your ways.

Even after a month they were second hand ones floating about - says a lot doesn't it?

Dave

I am throwing in the towel. 7 batteries and all. I shoot a fair amount of video and went through 7 batteries in no time

on a recent trip, mixing photos and video. Thats insane, I probably own more batteries than Canon now. Ebay time. Going low end DSLR Nikon, refurbished about the same price as the 280. The partys over, turn out the lights. (Oh the lights are off because the battery died shooting video LOL)

@bkoldys wrote:

I am throwing in the towel. 7 batteries and all. I shoot a fair amount of video and went through 7 batteries in no time

on a recent trip, mixing photos and video. Thats insane, I probably own more batteries than Canon now. Ebay time. Going low end DSLR Nikon, refurbished about the same price as the 280. The partys over, turn out the lights. (Oh the lights are off because the battery died shooting video LOL)

Which one?

Announcements