cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

If I keep the camera, I will buy wasabi batteries from Amazon. They are made in Japan and have a 3 year warrenty.

• Rechargeable lithium-ion battery for Canon NB-6L
  • Can be charged with the original Canon charger
  • Premium Japanese cells for longer battery life
  • Rated at 3.7V and ultra high 1300mAh for extended use between charges
  • Includes battery and 3-year manufacturer warranty.

Thanks for the info!

Yes it was a Digipower and only rated as 650maH! I will look into the Wasabi.

pe4710man
Contributor

My recently purchased SX280HS has the same video battery issue.  I upgraded to 1.02 firmware and purchased a spare battery so I can be sure to have a full charge when needed.  With a fully charged battery the low battery light comes on almost immediately when I start a video.  On the positive side it will take a full 23 minutes of video without shutting down despite the low battery indicator.

I contact Canon support and they acted like this was new and want me to return the camera for repair.  I will not do that I'd rther return it to Amazon for a refund.  I may also keep it since it takes great pictures and overall I like it.

Sounds like the usual story from Canon.  "We're unaware of any problem with the 280 battery warning light.  Send in the camera a your expense for repairs."  I hope you've added a review to Amazon.

Yup Canon is just pushing this issue off and selling a defective product. The sad thing is they know they are selling a defective product but don't want to admit it. For this I will never buy a Canon again. All my previous point and shoots had been Canons. Even my HD video camera is a canon... After getting the pany zs19 and being very happy with it I will be sticking with Panasonic for Point and Shoots.

Ironically the product works quite well other than a flashing battery icon when taking videos.   The battery will take videos without interuption as long as the battery is charged.  The only negative is tthat during filming of a video you do not know the battery level.   Once the video is complete going to a still photo setting will give you the correct battery level.

I took a 23 minute video last night, the icon flashed the whole time and that was the only issue.

I bought this camera for still photography and it works well for that.  For video it works with a battery indicator glitch.

I agree that Canon seems to have their heads in the sand relative to this issue and getting out a firmware update that works is needed.

@pe4710man wrote:

The only negative is tthat during filming of a video you do not know the battery level.  

I agree that Canon seems to have their heads in the sand relative to this issue and getting out a firmware update that works is needed.

Not knowing when the battery will die during video shooting is a significant issue because you're always taking the risk of missing an important moment because you didn't know whether you had 4 minutes or 40 seconds left.

Canon released the firmware upgrade and apparently feels that's the solution.  They should only advertise the still photo capabilities of the 280 and have a little foot note; *also does video.

@dswansonil wrote:

Canon released the firmware upgrade and apparently feels that's the solution....

C'mon folks, consider the upgrade they did, from a camera that stopped after a few seconds (with blinking light) to 23+ minutes video (also with blinking light). That is some improvement. It may be emotionally understandable to think that they've now given up on any further tweaking, to correctly reflect the battery level during video shooting, but I seriously doubt that's the case...it would me zero sense to do so, with so many lingering complaints. They made an improvement. And even if one rep said the blinking light was normal, that is such a foolish statement that...well...only a fool would take it seriously.

I'm usually not a moderate, but on this one I am neither a Canon fan, nor a Canon hater.

pe4710man,

I agree the photos came out great but no excuse for the battery issue. I wanted a camera to take on my honeymoon this fall and take good pictures and videos. I'm happy I decided on trying cameras a few months before to see how they perform. Yes the canon will take about 20 minutes of video on a fresh battery but if you take any pictures before you start taking videos then good luck. I don't want to play a guessing game if the battery is going to die or not. It happened when I tried to take video of my fiancée at her college graduation. I was so upset I wasn't able to get a video of her getting her diploma.

Announcements