cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Flyingski,

I was reading if you put the zs30 in vivid mode the pictures will come out much better.

I believe the vivid mode has more to do with color saturation and doubt it would effect resolution but I'll give it a try. 

flyingski,

You may also want to try turning on Intelligent Resolution (IR). That plus vivid and you should get very good results with the ZS30. Check out Graham Houghtons review of the camera on Youtube.. He talks about useing vivid...

scupking;  I think Houghton's reviews indicate that he thinks the ZS20 produced better image qualilty than the ZS30.  He  says that  the ZS30 vivid mode oversaturates the colors and recommends standard color mode with post processing to sharpen the images.  Did you watch his video, "Panasonic Lumix Intelligent Resolution or is it just dumb?" where he shows that the IR mode loses detail.  I may still give the ZS30 a try as the still image quality is secondary for me to the 60p video and battery life.  I may be just asking too much of a small camera.

@scupking wrote:

flyingski,

You may also want to try turning on Intelligent Resolution (IR). That plus vivid and you should get very good results with the ZS30. Check out Graham Houghtons review of the camera on Youtube.. He talks about useing vivid...

If flyingski finds the missing resolution, I'll be convinced to move towards the ZS30.

(My own uses for the SX280 are not hampered by what remains of the battery issue post-upgrade. But I do have to get a second camera and am still on the fence about the Panny.)

This whole thread is drifting away from the SX280 battery issue.

HI Canon,

Many people facing this problems, not only one or two person.

Can you give answer to public ? instead to one person ?

I hope this problems did not happened to other camera type with Digic 6

I would really be surprised if Canon even reads these posts. There is never any response back from them.

As to the DIGIC 6 processor being the problem it's interesting to note the new EOS 70D has the 5+ processor, and apparently works quite well. If you need a P&S that does video I'd suggest a ZS30. 

I have paid to Canon a camera that makes video (poor or not but that makes videos), so if the camera that I bought don't have this option i have been stolen. I have paid for a thing that the device can't do. So please Canon remove the video on the Sx280 camera publicity...  And refund some money back to your clients.... Be shame yourself... 

Announcements