cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

You can have a look at my HX50V gallery at DPR

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8024660727/albums/sony-hx50v

Thanks!  I started browsing the dpreview Sony forum but there's a lot to dig through.  I did note your name in some discussions about the HX50 video stabilization.  It seems for SX280 alternatives (ZS30, HX50), there are pros and cons on the video performance in every forum making it seem like there's no clear cut choice.

Dswansonil,

What sold me on the ZS30 was the video review from Graham Houghton on youtube and also the review from Gordan Laing...

Bluestar48, are you saying that AF at 20x is indicated as done by the camera but object is not in focus or are you saying that camera cannot focus in this situation? Also, are you comparing the same aperture, ISO, shutter speed when you are saying the SX280 is better and camera shake is not giving the illusion of poor focus? What focus mode were you choosing for comparison? In AUTO mode the SX280 certainly appears to have very good low light performance but it comes at the price of high automatic ISO settings and some/lots of noise introduced. It doesn't matter if you are just posting images on Facebook, but does otherwise.

@Bluestar48 wrote:

I have returned my SX280 and have taken the Panasonic ZS30/TZ40, well I not happy with it. Focus at the longer end is very bad both with stills and video. You can bet better result on auto but still not that good, but shooting in P or A mode is impossble as focus is just a hit and miss. I will return it tomorrow. The SX280 is way better at focus indoor, it would have been a top camera without the battery issue.

Videophan: Ok, when you zoom in completely, the TZ40  has difficulty to focus indoor.  It will take pictures which are out of focus. If I use the iA mode, chance of good focus is better but still it struggles at the maximum zoom.  I tried P and A mode, it was really bad, there were more out of focus shots that I have ever seen and the aperture with A mode was set to the widest. It will nail focus when you zoom out using wide angle but when you zoom in to the telephoto end, it is terrible.  Also, I find that quite stupid that you have to charge the battery in camera.  So if you have 2 batteries all charged, when one is flat and you want to charge it while using your camera with the second one, you can’t do it. So I have returned it today, no regrets. The SX280 is way better all the way except the battery issue. I have the SX220HS which is very good at focusing with both stills and video and the battery lasts very well, that’s why I upgraded to the SX280, but I could not live with that major battery problem.  I think I will wait when Canon brings the next model after the SX280 and then I will give it a try.

UberAugie
Contributor

I've been following this thread for a while. Still have my SX280 but I'm also in the window to return it. I've seen some posts reference altermative makes/models to the SX280 but when I review them they all seem to have their faults. I smiled when reading a review from a woman who bought a new, comparable Sony decided to return it in exchange for the SX280.

So I guess my question is for relatively the same price is there another camera that stacks up to the SX280 with exception to the battery indicator bug?

My research concluded that this is the best camera in it's class. Especially photo quality. That's why I purchased this one! (Also, all my other cameras are Canons and I've been highly satisfied with them.) I'm sure you've spent hours researching as well and have likely stumbled across the same reviews I did. The Sony was my alternate. I have been royally disappointed with this battery issue and am hoping they'll offer a resolution. I too am still within my return period. Holding out hope...

Which Sony. They have a brand new 30x zoom coming out any day. Is it that one?

At the time of my research it was between the DSC-HX30V and SX260, then I realized the newer SX280 was being released with so many supposed great improvements (where the 260 fell short in comparison to the Sony). At that point my decision was a no brainer for me. Now there's the new HX50V which sounds great, just pricey.

@smith wrote:
Now there's the new HX50V which sounds great, just pricey.

I don't know. The review I read commented that photo quality is good but not great: http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx50v-339344051.htm. For $100 more than the SX280 I'd expect it to be on par. I'm looking for a compact that takes great photos.

Announcements