cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I know I'm knew here but it looks like Canon says there's no problem, two guys say there is a problem and one guy says we should shut up and leave. Anyone else having the flashing red light and short battery life after the firmware update? I'm trying to figure out whether my sx280HS camera is defective or working as designed.

Wow, thanks Naomi..

Now that kinda seals the deal - puts me off the SX280HS good and proper.... and Canon products!

The comments I find is ridiclous.... so what's the point having a battery warning?

Scenario:

Your'e taking movies the darn thing starts to flash after a minute or two, "Ah thats normal", say's Canon. Sorry that don't work with me...... so where's the indication to actually change the battery, 10 minutes, 15 minutes after the flashing begins or just keep filming til the batteries expire.  Which is it Canon?

Canon, this IS getting beyond a joke.... and so are the comments from Canon! Says alot they are already on Ebay, refurbished, used..... and new, say's alot doesn't it!

Dave

I interpret Canon's message to say- if you get 25 minutes of HD video- regardless of blinking indicator- then your camera is working as designed - I would contact them directly- if you are not getting the 25 HD minutes......we have chatted here for weeks- I arrived on page 3- and Naomi's response is the first peep in weeks. I have found contacting Canon directly.....until you reach someone who is willing to listen to you- is a better path

scupking, etal.  Sounds like Canon is washing its hands of the issue.   If anybody has some comparative video battery life on a replacement camera they've purchase from another mfg.  Please post.   Thanks.

Dswansonil I ordered the Pan zs30 Monday. I will let ya guys know once I get it!

Who's got then in stock?

Dswansonil, I ordered from Panasonic for 349.

Scupking, what is the window of return policy at shop.panasonic? I looked but couldn't find the info.

@scupking wrote:
Dswansonil, I ordered from Panasonic for 349.

@Naomi wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to address the comments we’ve seen regarding the early battery warning on the PowerShot SX280 HS in movie mode even after installing the latest firmware.  Because a greater amount of power is consumed by recording movies than for shooting stills, the battery warning is designed to appear early in order to safeguard your recordings.  This is more likely to occur if the zoom is used frequently during movie recording and when the video quality is set to FullHD Mode.  However, movie recording can still be carried out for the officially stated length of time (25 minutes on a full charge).  If you need further support, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.  For contact options, please click here.

Thank you.

So if I zoom in and out in full HD, 1080/60p, I will be guarenteed 25 minutes of video?  Should I buy a timer or stop watch to track the time used?

Amazing! The "problem" we were having with the low battery level indicator coming on very early during video recording is not a problem at all; it is a "feature" of the camera. I wonder if other manufactueres will now begin including this "feature" in their cameras.

Just to reiterate my issue before return of the camera...with the firmware 1.0.2.0 update, my camera, in video mode, went from sufficient battery indication prior to beginning of video capture, to low battery flashing red indication on the first zoom, to complete shutdown on the second zoom for a capture length of 40 seconds. Where was the  slightly depleted, but sufficient battery indication in this process?  My camera actually worked better with firmware  1.0.1.0 in that the low battery warning came up much earlier and was a really effective warning albeit a false one for most of the video capture. In my opinion, if the flashing red battery level indicator is a "feature", firmware 1.0.2.0 broke it.

Happy Trails! 

@Naomi wrote:

Hi everyone,

We want to address the comments we’ve seen regarding the early battery warning on the PowerShot SX280 HS in movie mode even after installing the latest firmware.  Because a greater amount of power is consumed by recording movies than for shooting stills, the battery warning is designed to appear early in order to safeguard your recordings.  This is more likely to occur if the zoom is used frequently during movie recording and when the video quality is set to FullHD Mode.  However, movie recording can still be carried out for the officially stated length of time (25 minutes on a full charge).  If you need further support, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.  For contact options, please click here.

Thank you.

Announcements