cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Personally I have used Canon cameras all my life. I am 58 years old, so that is no small matter. I have spent thousands of dollars on film cameras, lenses and now DSLR which I am very happy with.

However I am extremely glad I caught this thread before buying my daughter an SX280 for for her birthday.

Canon is not doing right by the product or it's customers. This must be fixed.

I want to thank each of you for raising your voice about this neglected and unresolved ongoing problem.

I have ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 for my daughter instead of this Canon product.

Shame on you Canon!

WOW!!!! Has Canon done anything about this yet? I'm getting 8-10 seconds of video on a full charge after installing the new firmware and it didn't help a thing!  ^^^^^I too have spent thousands and thousands on Canon cameras and lenses only to be dealt with very rudely by Canons "help" center.  The guy on the phone was a total jerk, just plain nasty and I'm not one to bark first, I called for help and received nothing but a bunch of doublespeak and sighs, the guy was talking over me and he sounded like he just wanted to get me off the phone.  You want me to pay for shipping when YOU sent the cameras out in this condition?  Thanks canon. NO, this new firmware does NOT work. 

Welcome to the fiasco of Canon... Canon is a Sh*t company that only care about our money on their pockets.... Right now sx280 is to old to do anything.....  Pass what Canon do on other forums, let's spread the message.... 

Like I said I had the Sony HX30v and was really not pleased with image quality, or lack thereof. So I don't expect the Sony HX50 would be better, and $450 is a lot of money! I got the SX280 for $269. However if it's not working then what?!

So did the SX260 have this bad battery issue?

If you check out the reviews for the sx260, they're REALLY positive, so I don't think it had the same issue.

I have returned my SX280 and have taken the Panasonic ZS30/TZ40, well I not happy with it. Focus at the longer end is very bad both with stills and video. You can bet better result on auto but still not that good, but shooting in P or A mode is impossble as focus is just a hit and miss. I will return it tomorrow. The SX280 is way better at focus indoor, it would have been a top camera without the battery issue.

Disappointing.  😞 

Anybody out there with an HX50V?  RX100?  FZ200?

I guess Canon has just acknowledged that we BELIEVE there is still a problem with the sx280 but disagrees.

I believe Canon does not know what an "empty battery indicator" actually is.... it's an indicatator that the battery is nearly empty, let's say max 1 minute of usage left before the camera completely dies....

Just enough time to wrap shooting and turn the thing off actually....

The latest official statement from Noami/Canon is complete bulls**t, why would anybody in the world wants a flashing empty battery icon after 30 seconds of filming, when actual filming can continue for 20 minutes... then when the battery *really* dies, it's really a surprise to the user!!

It's just canon saying "we have no idea how to fix this problem, we have no idea what we are doing, we don't care about our customers and their complaints, and let's just put out an official statement so we can go on with our little ignorant lives..."

I'm pretty sure this was my last Canon purchase ever..... I've already switched printers, now I'll switch camera's too...

Announcements