cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

ONE BIG QUESTION -

When the battery shuts off during video recording, does it try to do one last write to the memory card or is all lost?

@rft_canon wrote:
ONE BIG QUESTION -

When the battery shuts off during video recording, does it try to do one last write to the memory card or is all lost?

It finalizes the movie clip correctly on card and then shuts down - first saying "working" or so ...

Is anybody from Canon still listening? 

If Canon is not going to make any additional improvements in the power draw/battery life or the low battery warning accuracy, how about publishing some advice on what settings to use to maximize battery life for video recording particularly for HD.  (i.e. Suggesting one shoot SD is not a rational answer and ECO doesn't work in video mode.)

On the other side of the coin, has anyone gotten a replacement (ZS30, HX50V, etc.) that works well for HD video with decent battery life?

My suspicion is that this is not resolvable through firmware, that this is a basic hardware issue. I am concerned that if even a small portion indicate satisfaction with the firmware fix, then Canon will figure they cut their losses and move on. If firmware cannot fix the cameras, then they should be recalled. Not holding my breath. I was able to shoot nearly three times the time with the sx260HS, and that was at a similar video resolution.

@bkoldys wrote:

My suspicion is that this is not resolvable through firmware, that this is a basic hardware issue. I am concerned that if even a small portion indicate satisfaction with the firmware fix, then Canon will figure they cut their losses and move on. If firmware cannot fix the cameras, then they should be recalled. Not holding my breath. I was able to shoot nearly three times the time with the sx260HS, and that was at a similar video resolution.

Check the specs.  The 280 captures 1080p MP4 movies at 60fps or 30fps whereas the SX260's videos were only MOV format and maxed out at 24fps.  While 24 or 30 fps HD is good, the 60fps is better at capturing action like sports. 

@bkoldys wrote:

My guess is that there might be more small refinement in the future. But I wouldn't be betting on that, and certainly NOT on a wholesale improvement in battery life for video, ever, for this camera. It's simply underpowered for long-term video use. At the risk of repeating myself, anyone expecting to shoot hours of HD video with any pocketable p/s camera would be better off investing in a video camera engineered for that sort of battery drain as its primary purpose. As to the 260 vs. 280: I never owned the 260, but clearly the video and processor circuitry for the new camera and its 60fps is substantially more power hungry. 

Yes. the Lumix ZS30, as shipped, comes with a USB cable and a power adapter to plug the USB cable into for charging.  You can also plug the USB cable into your notebook and, with the camera off, the battery will charge. The latter is a nice feature if you are out taking photographs and need to top the battery but no AC power is close. If it bothers you not to be able to charge the battery externally, buy an aftermarket charger.

Another nice feature of the ZS30 is the touch screen and, with it, the ability to bring any object you wish to bring into focus in a frame by touching the object on the screen. This focus feature works both in still and movie mode. My experience with the SX280 was that you had to reframe often to get the object you wished in focus and even then, the hunt time was at times not short...not good when in movie mode.

It is true that every review I have read that compares the two cameras gives the SX280 the edge in image quality, but the difference at base ISOs is small. If you are really trying to take a super quality image, that is where you will be shooting. Also, if image quality is your main priority when purchasing a camera, you would not be looking at either of these cameras or anything in the point and shoot category.

@RCJ wrote:

I've been a fan of the Lumixes, but the reviews I've read of image quality on the 30 have been pretty mixed. Also the new Lumixes don't have an external charger, if I understand correctly, which seems nuts. Especially given the price! Anxious to hear about it though.

@scupking wrote:

I will update you guys once I get the ZS30. I will order after I get my refund back from amazon. Just wish the ZS30 had 10 or 12 mp. Over all after reading a lot of reviews the zs30 seems to be the best 20x pocket camera.

If you remember reading the reviews for the SX280, you may recall having that same happy, sunny hope.

Someone at Canon is listening. This now appears at the Canon USA site and is available before downloading new firmware version:

changelog.jpg

Announcements