cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I've not had that problem. (Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.5)

I have used mine to download a few, just to see if it works, and it seemed to work OK. (I have had a couple wifi functions fail and give the same message, but worked on a second try.) Given the significant speed difference I normally just pop the card in a reader to download.

Yes to the significant download time—wow it's slow!

As many have said...... if the battery was the problem... why should it continue to take photo's? OK, it *could* be said that taking movies IS taking photos continually (which it is in effect), but a warning after just one minute or so, no this isn't a battery capacity problem now is it? Do lets put our cards on the table uh... think about what we are saying here -:

Sooo a brand spanking new 700mA/hr battery will give 700mA for one hour after it has received a few discharge/recharging cycles - this is how l-ion and nicads behave, don't take my words look it up, read for yourself!

We are saying you won't get full capacity from a brand spanking new battery OK, that is clear.

Shooting AV that camera is not gonna zap 700mA in one minute or so brand new battery, used or otherwise. ...... it barely last  a few minutes before the warning enabling one to ignore the 'red flag waving'  until the battery finally gives up!  When it does...  no movies, no stills until no power!

Now to me that ain't a battery capacity problem since it camera can be re-powerwed or the warnings ignored and still be used until 'zap' time.

Still, Canon UK are twiddling their fingers while I ponder Panny's TZ40... comparing the TZ40 and the SX280, the TZ 'appears to me a lot more sharper, I dunno.

Canon as let me down big time here.... never ever go or the pre-release hype, how ton Gods Earsth can Canon release a peice of  untested workmanship -  I call it shoddy.

No wonder one UK source is selling them alittle over £200 - Canon returns no doubt!  SX280

Dave

rstephenson
Apprentice

For all those who have waited to give Canon a 2nd chance. Our Australian website has a new firmware version that claims to address the issue.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0400085302.html

Sorry, rstephenson. The American web site rolled out its version of that firmware update earlier this week and it didn't work.

Rstephenson: Definitely try it. Made a huge difference on mine.

@UnionStation wrote:
Sorry, rstephenson. The American web site rolled out its version of that firmware update earlier this week and it didn't work.

Read back through the last couple of pages and you'll note that two users seem satisfied, and many more are still experiencing the flashing red light and premature shutdown. If you install the update, try zooming a couple of times and take a few minutes of video and please report back. We'd all be interested in knowing if your "fix" worked better than ours.

It seems the timing was academic. After I flashed the new firmware I started recording and straight away the flashing battery started, switched off and on and full battery shown.. AAHH so close, but no bananas!

I'll try it from a full battery and see if it makes any difference.

One more thing. It looks like the firmware is pretty specific about which serial numbers the updates apply to. Does this mean they have a number of hardware revisions?

Announcements