cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I fixed the battery problem.  I returned the camera.  No camera, no battery problem!

Correction: you fixed your battery problem, not the battery problem.

@ThomasDavies wrote:

Should i buy this camera? Is it worth the money??

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. Although, if you only occasionally or never shoot video, it's a pretty great camera. Image quality is very good, it's packed with features, it operates fast and smooth. No complaints about stills, even regarding the battery. Very good AF, IS systems. Nice image quality, good in low light, pretty sharp lens.

If you're a photo-only guy, your biggest complaint is likely to be ergonomics. As others have said the flash is in a bad place and I find that it starts a chain reaction of finger-shifting that keeps putting my digits in contact with buttons where they shouldn't be, such as the "play" button on back or worse, the power button on top. But, these are all first-world problems, I guess. I would say this: If the price plummets to the lower or mid 200s because of the video/battery problems, itd be a great buy for a travel still camera.

I think the last time I looked the price was $269 ($60 less than what I paid B&H for the pleasure).

... I would say this: If the price plummets to the lower or mid 200s because of the video/battery problems, itd be a great buy for a travel still camera.

Just checked and Amazon has it for $260.15.

I put a fresh battey in, formatted the SD card and took three videos (no stills). About ten seconds before the third video ended the flashing low battery symbol came on. I did use the zoom a lot but only when I saw something interesting as I panned outside. The total video time was about eleven minutes. When I turned the camera back on again in video mode and began recording, battery indicator indicated a full battery, even was able to zoom with no warning. The battery indicator in video mode takes a giant leap from full to dangerously low with nothing displayed in between. Something is very wrong. Oh, I have the updated firmware.

@pawl wrote:

I think the last time I looked the price was $269 ($60 less than what I paid B&H for the pleasure).

... I would say this: If the price plummets to the lower or mid 200s because of the video/battery problems, itd be a great buy for a travel still camera.

I too am waiting.

Have people with the camera that downloaded new firmware that "fixes" the problem found that the problem is fixed?

Some people are experimenting with (1600 maH )batteries that are not what Canon ships (1000 maH) with the camera,  First, is this safe for the camera?  Second, what is Canon's opinion on doing this?  Does anyone from Canon read and truly understand the issues?  Even if the 1600maH battery will not hurt the camera, does the firmware and camera hardware handle this higher-rated battery?  What about the standard charger for this camera?  Does it handle the higher amps?

Canon really seems to have blown it on this camera.

@bkoldys wrote:

Coming today, will charge one up and post tonight.

Hi bkoldys, what does it say this stronger battery?

Very strange. The threshold for the red battery icon was about 7 minutes earlier than the OEM Canon battery, but once the red battery occured I could continue to video for about the same time, ie 9 minutes each. With the OEM I could reach 15 minutes with a new battery and then could only video in about 5 minute segment. Cant explain it, perhaps the new batteries need some deep discharge and charging. Im going to stick with the camera, I really like it and press on with Canon for resolution. Besides I have no choice, past the point of return. I will try some more this weekend to see if things differ. I would like to be able to at least have some predictive ability so I know what I have when shooting

thnx, bkoldys, mine's in the shop now and, being past return date, I'll be sticking with it. I like it too, and am trying to think positive at this point.

should that really matter? Should we have to source better batteries for a camera we have paid good money for?

Fair enough, we all like that extra bit of battery time, but this is a problem with the camera firmware. I love the camera, but it went back yesterday. I've decided that wifi aint really such a big deal, and that once the initial 'novelty' has gone, I'd probably stick the mem card in the laptop or tablet as I have always done. I got the olympus SZ31 and I love it. It was cheaper with a spare battery.

No issues with it at all. It does what it says it will. You shouldn't have to buy extra to compensate for its short comings.
Announcements