cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Well, in my opinion, it is immaterial whether the firmware update is successfull or not.  Canon does not solve the problem. 

@dazzlerbe wrote:

!!! I'm having trouble installing the firmware !!!

According to the included update procedure, in the camera [MENU] you must scroll down to [Firm Update]

I do not have that item in my menu.

According to the screenshot in the procedure, the last 4 items in the menu are:

[Resume] <Last Seen>

[Transition] <Fade>

[Set Touch Actions...]

[Firm Update...]

In the menu on my camera, the last menu item is [Transition] there is no Set Touch Actions and no Firm Update...

Anyone having the same problem ?

1) Are you going into menu from the "playback" mode, rather than the regular "power on" mode?

2) Did you format the SD card before dragging the firmware fix to it?

Just suggestions.

Thank a lot RCJ - I was using the power on button to power on the camera, then pressing the playback button the get to playback mode.

Turns out you can actually power on the camera by pressing the playback button instead of the power button, and then the firmware update is available...

It's my wife's camera, I didn't know the playback also powered on the camera without the need of the power on button.

Anyway - prior to the upgrade, I did a couple of test video's with lots of zooming and changing focus from distant to close objects, and the low battery indicator started flashing everytime within 20 seconds or less...

After the firmware I did the same tests, and did not see the low battery indicator.... however I did never record longer then 1 minute... it's my wife's cam, it was late, so let her test it 😉

@RCJ wrote:

1) Are you going into menu from the "playback" mode, rather than the regular "power on" mode?

2) Did you format the SD card before dragging the firmware fix to it?

Just suggestions.

Guys, Canon Will release this software update also for italy and italian language?

dazzlerbe

"After the firmware I did the same tests, and did not see the low battery indicator.... however I did never record longer then 1 minute... it's my wife's cam, it was late, so let her test it ;)"

What were the results of your wife's test? Did the up grade work or not?

Thanks

d

On my camera even after the update it doesn't appear the firmware menu like Canon said. It appears to anyone here? 

The firmware update works!! 1.0.2.0 works!! Thou hast renewed my faith in thee Canon. No more red battery light when taking video. Hurray!

Great.

I hope other can test and confirm if this solve the problem or not. 

I hope it solve the problems

dim
Contributor

I do not believe that: "No more red battery light when taking video. Hurray!" 

I wish the battery indicator was not seen at all in video mode. 

Doesn't work for me..... 

Announcements