cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I returned my camera to the retailer, even though I used it more and longer than their return policy allows. I called up and explained the battery issue (this was before Canon acknowledged the battery issue)  and begged them to take the camera back. They did, without any hassle. In following this thread, I've been impressed with how loyal and patient Canon customers are, and appalled at the way Canon treats them.

Hi Dave

I've ordered mine from ebuyer and I'm expecting it tomorrrow. I'll post an update after that.

I did speak to Canon UK's technical support team before ordering who  stated there were no issues recorded on their system. What they did say was that even though each model may look the same from different parts of the world ,they are not. I'm presuming that they are manufactured in a number of different locations and that they are made available in the order of Asia Pacific-> Australasia -> USA ->Europe.

That said the proof will be when the goods arrive. At least in the UK we protected by the Sale of Goods act and also Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I'll update ASAP.

Eazycanon, you may be in luck. I just found this at http://www.canon.co.uk:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-1062668&SearchType=3

They have a firmware version for release. I wonder why Canon USA doesn't have the same firmware version available?  Incidentally, my Canon USA SX280's serial number qualifies for the firmware update with a 0 digit in the 6th place. Also, regardless of where the Canon 280SX is manufactured, it would seem they would have to adhere to a rigid set of manufacturing specifications! Any comments, Jessica?

@eazycanon wrote:

Hi Dave

I've ordered mine from ebuyer and I'm expecting it tomorrrow. I'll post an update after that.

I did speak to Canon UK's technical support team before ordering who  stated there were no issues recorded on their system. What they did say was that even though each model may look the same from different parts of the world ,they are not. I'm presuming that they are manufactured in a number of different locations and that they are made available in the order of Asia Pacific-> Australasia -> USA ->Europe.

That said the proof will be when the goods arrive. At least in the UK we protected by the Sale of Goods act and also Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I'll update ASAP.

Firnmware version is also available at Canon USA!!! WPPHOO, I will tell you how it goes when I am on the other side!

@videophan wrote:

Eazycanon, you may be in luck. I just found this at http://www.canon.co.uk:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-1062668&SearchType=3

They have a firmware version for release. I wonder why Canon USA doesn't have the same firmware version available?  Incidentally, my Canon USA SX280's serial number qualifies for the firmware update with a 0 digit in the 6th place. Also, regardless of where the Canon 280SX is manufactured, it would seem they would have to adhere to a rigid set of manufacturing specifications! Any comments, Jessica?

@eazycanon wrote:

Hi Dave

I'll update ASAP.

Videophan- we should change your name to JESSICA!!!!!

From the requirements:

5. A fully-charged, dedicated battery pack in the camera or a dedicated AC adapter kit

Does that actually exist for this model, an AC adapter kit?

Yes it does, but just make sure your battery is fully charged. It takes about 3 minutes of power for the firmware update.

@filipb wrote:

From the requirements:

5. A fully-charged, dedicated battery pack in the camera or a dedicated AC adapter kit

Does that actually exist for this model, an AC adapter kit?

videophan, that sounds disapointing your first test - and when switching off again full battery as before?

I have my battery on charge.... another 2 hours and i would be on my way to buy the nikon !!

Saved by the firmware.... Just hope it works.. no, REALLY hope it works. I love the camera

@filipb wrote:

videophan, that sounds disapointing your first test - and when switching off again full battery as before?

Yes, full battery indication when I switch back on to any mode but movie mode. I will say that if I zoom in a mode other than video mode, I lose one bar from the battery level indicator so the battery I guess is not fully charged but close enough the battery level indicator reports as full in modes other than video mode.

Announcements