cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Jessica has been silent for a while so whatever fix they're installing on the returned cameras is not generally acknowledged or available.

OH I totally agree- if you are PATIENT ENOUGH- I erroneously assumed that EVERONE is interested in the fix to OCCUR before the vendor's drop dead RETURN date. my mistake.

I am not willing to keep the camera beyond the Amazon.com 30 day return date without a known fix installed. MY camera goes back before the 30 days are up- if the fix installed at the factory does not work.

If Jessica supplies you a firmware update that works... BEFORE your vendor drop dead  return date- you are golden!!- or maybe you intend on keeping the camera either way..

I got mine yesterday... had the issue, bought a new battery, no change.... saw this forum, had a good read, rang canon (they knew nothing about it)

I've got it boxed up ready to return, and am picking the Nikon S9500 up on thursday.

I already own a canon EOS and a canon camcorder and photo printer. This was just gonna be a space, saving in the pocket, short holiday kind of all rounder.

I cant believe what i have read on here about lack of response from canon. I hate bad customer service, but blatant denial of an issue is beyond a joke. I won't buy another canon product.

Shame really, it take excellent stills.

@completelocks wrote:

I got mine yesterday... had the issue, bought a new battery, no change.... saw this forum, had a good read, rang canon (they knew nothing about it)

I've got it boxed up ready to return, and am picking the Nikon S9500 up on thursday.

I already own a canon EOS and a canon camcorder and photo printer. This was just gonna be a space, saving in the pocket, short holiday kind of all rounder.

I cant believe what i have read on here about lack of response from canon. I hate bad customer service, but blatant denial of an issue is beyond a joke. I won't buy another canon product.

Shame really, it take excellent stills.

I called yesterday and they acknowledged the issue. You must have gotten some dufus on the phone.

Anyone waiting for a firmware fix, good luck. Canon USA has gone radio silent again. They acknowledged the problem almost three weeks ago, said they were working on it two weeks ago and haven't officially said anything since. We have yet to see any of the cameras sent in successfully returned. Then again, we're in better shape than our counterparts overseas - who can't even get Canon to admit there's a problem.

Anyone thinking about keeping or (God forbid) buying this camera, please keep this in mind.

Pawl: My camera was right at the 30-day return window but WAY over the number of shutter clicks - 800+, and the policy is maximum 300. Maybe my customer service rep was just being extra nice and bending the rules, but he gave me the full refund. Now that the problems with the sx280 are known, maybe they've made a decision to let Canon deal with the customers it disappointed. You might try speaking to a supervisor as a last resort.

@UnionStation wrote:
Anyone waiting for a firmware fix, good luck. Canon USA has gone radio silent again. They acknowledged the problem almost three weeks ago, said they were working on it two weeks ago and haven't officially said anything since. We have yet to see any of the cameras sent in successfully returned. Then again, we're in better shape than our counterparts overseas - who can't even get Canon to admit there's a problem.

Gordon Laing (Cameralabs review) wrote earlier today that his camera is also on its way back to him (should be there by week's end), so we have now a few repaired cameras on their way back to users. Obviously, the one in Gordon's hands will speak the loudest on the fixes Canon has done (or not done?). My point being, while the remote firmware fix may still be some ways off, evidently there are repairs/updates now being completed by Canon. Mine will go out tomorrow...since I live 30 miles from the repair facility, I might get mine back week's end as well.

We shall see.

I know Gordon Laing made it clear that he'll get around to revisiting the sx280 when he has time. Unlike people who actually bought the camera to use/keep, he has no interest in whether it works or not other than documenting it fairly. At the same time, Canon has a vested interest in getting this guy a camera that may or may not be fixed - more like rigged to make sure it passes Gordon's tests with flying colors. Whatever firmware they put in his camera - now knowing he's a professional reviewer does speak loudly or clearly, except for Canon's ability to produce one working camera for one person. What speaks loudly and clearly to me is dozens of people on this page reporting that their camera has suddenly started working as advertised. To date, not one camera has been successfully returned for repair. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong on that.

My bottom line: Would anyone here today suggest the sx280 to a friend or buy it for a relative as a gift? I seriously doubt it. And Canon has done little to answer for or explain this debacle to customers.

UnionStation, I think you missed mcasale16's message, mldde of page 30.

Plus, I don't see why we ought to doubt Gordon Laing's word:

May 23, 2013

I'm very curious too, but again it could be a couple of weeks before I can re-evaluate this...

June 3, 2013

They collected mine last week and said they'd have it back by the end of this week, so I hope to test it then.

Suggesting a consipiracy theory that Canon will do some unique trick for his camera is...well, a conspiracy theory.

nuff said.

Paul, who's neither a glass_half_full nor a glass_half_empty guy

I think you might've misunderstood me, pawl. Professional reviewers often buy devices off the shelf to guarantee they are getting exactly what customers get. Companies frequently give known reviewers prototype units with firmware/software/hardware that never makes its way to consumers. There' no guarantee the firmware Gordon gets will be the same anyone else will see. That's no conspiracy theory - that's fact.

My statement that it may take Gordon some time to revisit the camera was based on that earlier posting, part of which you reposted: Gordon said: "I'm very curious too, but again it could be a couple of weeks before I can re-evaluate this." He's already reviewed this camera and likely has plenty of other work to do before giving a repaired camera a second chance.

Hey Union: Not sure I understand why someone who long ago returned their camera and moved on would insist on lingering here and spouting off about the inadequacies of Canon (glaringly apparent already) to others. I mean, it's a free country, but sheesh. Most people would just move on. 

Announcements