cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Performance Update:  Battery life still shows as 100% but zooming while video recording triggers the low battery indicator light.  I power it off, turn it back on and full bars show.  No red light during video until I zoom.

pawl
Enthusiast

Clearly, nobody has yet to receive their repaired (updated) camera back.

Meanwhile, we're all in the dark. One would think that a company the size of Canon would have a team of engineers working 24/7 on correcting this and getting a fix out there. Really, if this were so, could it possibly take as long as it is? Is it possible that such a team could be working around the clock on this and still be coming up without a solution after so many days and nights focused on correcting this? 

Instead, it's looking more like Canon has had just one person working on it, who left two weeks back on a planned vacation. Egad!!! What happens if this product engineer's vacation plans are upset and they're unable to return to work for several more weeks?

I'm really surprised that it's taking this long. But then again, the first owners of this camera probably amount to just a very small percentage of Canon's customers. Maybe .00001 percent, if you consider the myriad products they manufacture.

Agree and it's only going to get worse as they keep selling the thing! I don't expect a fix overnight. I do expect to at least be kept informed about what's going on. 

I had shipped mine back to Canon for a fix- I received acknowledgement today that Canon received the camera, that they will work on the issue, clean and check all functions and return it to me within 7 days of today. The wait continues.

Holy Moly I just heard from Canon AGAIN- they logged my camera's arrival into Irvine California - this morning, this evening a 2nd communication stating that it has been repaired, and is back in UPS's hands on it's way back to me in NY! No other information was offered, fyi- The issue I complained to them on the accompanying application was of the blinking battery indicator issue (not short battery life)

Thanks mcasale16. That's encouraging news. Please continue to keep us posted! Surely hundreds of us are anxiously awaiting the outcome! 😊

Sktr
Contributor

Firmware 1.0.2.0 does not solve the problem with battery indicator.

CANON, FIX IT PLEASE ! ! !

Sktr: Scroll through the past 68 pages and you'll see that Canon has already given its final answer. Canon says there is no problem. Think of the flashing red light not so much as a warning but a fun decoration. Other users here have found two workarounds. 1) Don't shoot video - ever. Or 2) Return the camera and buy another from a company that listens to customers.

Funny yet so sad at the same time. There must be something Canon can do. We paid enough for these cameras.
I wish they would actually take time to read all these posts.

Canon has given up on this camera and its owners, that's why the best option is to toss it back to Canon. No user should have to put up with that kind of drama.

Announcements