cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

In Germany there is the same problem with the camera. And the reviews on Amazon.de are also negative. Canon loses many customers are now the Panasonic DMC-TZ41EG buy. Too bad you can not solve the problem.

received 5 days ago in reply to email.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the battery indicator while recording video on your PowerShot SX280 HS.

Canon INC and Canon USA are currently working toward a resolution resolution regarding this matter and will provide an update to our customers shortly.  Unfortunately, we do have a direct ETA on when any possible firmware updates will be released.  Please check www.powershot.com for any future updates regarding this matter.  You can also contact us directly via email for support. 

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot SX280 HS.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

@UnionStation wrote:

Perhaps I just got lucky, but the customer rep helped me without hesitation.

Without knowing just how much beyond your 30-day return window, I suspect it was just a few days beyond it, and they include some select returns within a few additional days. If not so, I'd love to know.

You might, if interested, check out a comparison between the Sony and the Lumix (which, btw, also wins over the SX280):

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-ZS30-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-WX300

Also the Lumix ZS-25, the non-wifi version of the 30, is now available for around $229 -- major factor, without any of the extras headaches. My previous p/s was a Lumix ZS1, which I loved but unfortunately ran through a complete wash cycle. Don't ask.

RCJ
Enthusiast

However: The lack of an external charger for those new Lumixes is NOT appealing to me, either. Nobody wants to shoot one set of shots then have to plug their camera in for two hours.

You mean the battery cannot be romoved???

It can be removed and replaced, as usual, but from what I have read, there's no separate charger made by Panasonic -- or currently, apparently by anyone else. Anyone who owns one care to confirm?

The Lumix ZS30 doesn't come with an external battery charger.  There are spare batteries and external chargers available on Amazon and elsewhere but that just kicks up the initial cost another $20.

No external charger is like having no camera.
Announcements