cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

RCJ
Enthusiast

Myasg: Thanks for posting that. Looks like a nice camera. Two questions: How wide is the wide end of the zoom on that, and how's the image stabilization compared to the Canon? Any noticeable difference?

Oh, also: Battery life?

Battery life is 400 + pictures and about 80-90 video. Look at the specs on B&H and Best Buy. Also 1080p and pics within video. Please let me know what you think after looking at specs. I love it. I returned the Canon and Nikon 9500 and the Sony is a great little camera. Also 20x zoom.

Thanks myasg. I'll check it out. I'm also thinking about returning to BH if I can find an alternative I like. Requirements for me are a wide-end wing angle (24 or 25mm equivalent), good low-light performance, good stabilizer. Other stuff like true HD video and wifi a plus but not required.

please let me know what you think of the specs of the Sony - i am a semi novice but very pleased.

I've been using a site called snapsort to compare cameras:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX280-HS-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-WX300

UnionStation, I'm wondering how far beyond the 30 days you were when B&H accepted the return.

I just checked with them and they said "no can do" for my upgrade (I was asking to return for a more expensive camera).

Call during a week day and ask to speak to a supervisor, if necessary. Explain that this is a flawed camera and that Canon has acknowledged this. Perhaps I just got lucky, but the customer rep helped me without hesitation.

For those thinking about returning the sx280, you might want to think about returning now and buying again when/if Canon comes up with a fix. If it takes a long time to solve the problem - or involves a return - you'll be glad you did.

US, just curious how long beyond your 30 day window did you contact them?

Good idea to call them, I guess. Their written reply so far is "...sorry for the camera and that it is not working anymore. [Regarding a return], we can only do this within the 30 day policy since that is the amount of time that we have to send this back to the manufacturer for a replacement. I am very sorry but you would need contact Canon for a their warranty service to replace the camera."

Canon we need an update on this??? When will this issue be fixed???

Announcements