cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Tell you what......

their next camera, folks will be waiting, waiting to see the reviews before buying the next product... and my guess is that Canon will come on these forums praising the product just to con people. They won't be dashing out in a hurry I bet.

It shouldn't have to be 'part with your cash and take your luck', I can't bring myself to trust em' as a company anymore and doubt I'll buy their products again. - treat em' like they treated you here - with contempt.

Dave

Total lack of quality control by Canon when they made the SX280 Camera followed by a failure to fix the issue with 2 firmware updates. I don't understand why they are still selling a faulty camera with known flaws that they are not interested in fixing. 

I have already said that..  AND about thrird pin,  what is they function? 

Okay, here is the response I got after sending Canon the SX280, I just hope this one works.  I guess they're trying to help, I had to ask for free shipping though, they weren't offering it.  I don't know why they say the problem/symptom is no power, they told me to send the camera with no battery or accessories, card, strap....Sounds great Canon!  Thank you very much! (if it works)   🙂

Dear Valued Customer:

Repair ID Number: Purchase Order Number: Processed Date:
Model Name:
Old Serial Number :

RNXXXXXXXX

New Serial#

Nov 11, 2013 SX280 HS (Black) XXXXXXXXXXXX

page1image7576page1image7736

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to service your Canon product. Due to certain necessary components not being available to complete your repair, a new or factory-refurbished replacement product will be shipped to you in exchange for your original unit at no additional charge.

If you sent accessories with your original product, they are also being returned to you, but may be returned in a separate package. We have replaced your equipment with a SX280 HS (Black) .The new serial number is XXXXXXXXXXXX.

We expect that you will be pleased with this product, but should you have any questions, you can reach us at the telephone number listed above. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you! 

Description of Problem/Symptoms

No power. Repairs are not performed on the model you sent for repair. We will exchange your original model with a new or factory-refurbished product. No response necessary. 

Congratulations, Beetle! You have just gotten definitive confirmation from Canon that there will never be a fix for the SX280. Read the fine print: "Repairs are not performed on the model you sent for repair." Game over, folks! Canon is admitting what we've all known for months. The sx280 is a lemon, and Canon has given up on even trying to repair it.

Geesh - I would NOT be wanting a REFURBISHED unit - I'd be wanting a NEW one.

Looks like they are not giving you the option either.

Dave

I did send a letter stating that I did not want a refurbished camera, either a refund or credit towards the purchase of another model. How can you tell if it's refurbished?

I would like to know if Refurbished cameras are already working correctly - an indicator blinking? Can you write?

Think it's been mentioned that Canon Uk does not know of the problem..... they ought to do, they should make it their business to find out if they don't, Canon EU knows about it for sure?

I sent Canon UK an inquiry which they passed to Canon EU... fobbing me off telling me it had a one year warranty etc, I provide several links and they still don't know geesh...... what do they use for brains?

I even suggested them getting off their backsides, getting a SX270/280 and finding out for theirselves!

Canon needs to come clean on this and not just on forums,  used and refurbished units are mounting as many people are returning them and they haven't been out a month, what use is that? Canon must think we are all suckers and will put up with it - how come the camera wasn't fully tested before release, what went wrong?

Canon had better get their fingers out because they are getting rather a lot of people annoyed..... a pea-brained person would say this is not good for business, at this rate they will never buy a Canon product again.

C'mon Canon take it on the chin or lose customers.

Anyone noticed the zoom noise from the motor when zooming, is this good, bad or indifferent?

Even if this problem can be fixed with a firmware update, other posters have noted there's no obvious documentation in the manual and nothing in the menu that shows this camera can be updated by the user. It's not inconceivable that every camera with this problem might have to be returned to Canon for a fix. How long do you think that would that take? Weeks? Months? Care to comment Canon? Your silence speaks volumes about how little you care about customers.

Announcements