cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

UnionStation,  While I agree that the larger sensor may give better image quality, the reviews I've read rate its battery life as slightly less than the SX280 which is one of the major issues on this forum thread.  I've also been more focused on the video side and the P330 max's out at 1080p/30fps rather than the 280's1080p/60fps.  My quandry is to go with a camera or a camcorder to get the combined capabilities I want out of it.  I've researched the Canon Vivia series camcorders but their still photo capability seems to be inferior.  Looks like either way I may not be a Canon user much longer.

Thanks Union Station and others.

I too nearly ordered a SX280, mighty glad I didn't now because I just couldn't be doing what the problems you guys are having.... about time Canon publically announced this and not just on Forums! You guys are saints, this ain't funny in any way, I feel for ya spending your hard earned cash on something not right.

What was Canon doing, did they ever test the SX280 before releasing it... or was it a Friday night job? Why didn't they see the problem - what you say Canon? Silence came the stern reply!

I too am/was a Canon fan, I've the AS650, scanner and printer, thanks to Canon I'm thinking twice.... even their printer cartridges are getting smaller, but thats another subject! Pity they just couldn't clod a x20 zoom on the A650 - now that would be nice, and triple A batteries too - gerrem' anywhere sure did make a mistake there.

Ah well, thanks to you guys and Canon not testing before release I'll give it a miss and look elesewhere.

So you see MarioV I am really one of them people out there  Union Station mentioned... sorry to say I let them do the dirty work for them otherwise I'd have gone out bought the camera, maybe had it replaced a couple of times before wanting my money back , these folks save me all tha hassel... now then-:

Did Canon really test the SX280 before releasing it,  what went wrong at Canon? To add, a 700mA pack in this day and age really does look skimpy, not that upping the capacity will correct the error!

Dave

It's a good question. I've been using Canon cameras and lenses (SLRs, DSLRs, compacts) for decades and have never seen them put something on the street with such a major glitch.

I wonder if there is a policy on this forum that Canon only posts on Fridays saying that there is a solution soon? 😉

Let's keep the tension up - let's open a poll: when will the firmware update be released: Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri? 🙂

Regards,

Filip - in a playful mood ...

Davy
Rising Star

Got looking at the Panny TZ40 now, at least the flash ain't in the way.... as you can see Canon are sure taking this seriously - loafers!

Dave

This probably won't change your mind, dswansonil, but the Nikon P330 does have 1080p/60i (60fps interlaced, but not 60fps progressive). Just tried it out to confirm, and it's there. Like you, I was willing to pay the size tax on the sx280 in exchange for the 1080p/60p and the bigger zoom. My focus was more on stills, so we probably part ways here in terms of need. I know the rating on the Nikon battery doesn't look that hot on paper, but I shot all day long (stills with lots of fill flash, and video) on a single battery without issue. Not trying to sell you on a camera you don't want. Just want to share my experience, FYI.

And thank you, davy, and all the others on this forum who aren't afraid to be squeaky wheels. Yes, every company stumbles once in a while, but great companies create an opportunity to show customers just how much they appreciate their loyalty. Sending two vague "we're workin' on it" messages doesn't quite cut it for me. 

I sent back my SX280 today and my Panasonic Lumix ZS30 arrives in a couple of days so I'm guessing my time remaining here is limited. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and advice. I originally planned on keeping my SX280 but I think  sending it back was the right decision for me. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you enjoy many years of  happiness with the SX280 or whatever camera you go with.

UberAugie,  I would be interested in your reaction to the Lumix when you try it out.

@dswansonil wrote:
UberAugie,  I would be interested in your reaction to the Lumix when you try it out.

Ditto...and as soon as you have a chance to test it out.

UnionStation, I apologise for my previous comment.  I was out of line and rude. 

In these circumstances, the squeeky wheel is what can keep the pressure on to affect change.  That only benefits everyone.

I have decided to obtain a refund.  I have yet to decide which camera will replace it.  I may even consider the more expensive Sony RX100 which appears to have a very usable 8x equivalent zoom (about 200mm or so) with its Clear Image Zoom while still retaining excellent image quality.  Its far short of the 500mm reach and only starts at 28mm wide. But for all else, its impressive.

If Canon do learn from this gross error and improve future releases, I will certainly consider them again.

Best wishes to everyone.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements