cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Yes, after using the camera for a while I noticed that in fact the indicator problem also arises when I just use the still modes for a while!  It is just not so dramatic as in video mode ...

And of course the auto turn-off feature is solely based on the indicator, not on a feature where the processor would notice its own malfunctioning.  So "actual" battery life is mixed in with this, not only annoying indicator problem!

Besides all this, it may be true that battery is full enough to do stills, but not for video anymore.  If that is the case, the camera should indicate this in a totally different way, not?

Regards,

Filip.

I.e. graceful degradation is the feature I have in mind - it could also include: no flash anymore, or special effects anymore, etc.

But does it exist in camera's at all?  Am I asking the impossible?  It seems to ask for a totally different software design, not something that can be fixed later on, I guess ...

E.g. my Samsung mobile phone (very simple device on purpose - I don't want a smart phone) does not allow me certain things when the battery is almost empty, like playing games etc.

@filipb wrote:

Yes, after using the camera for a while I noticed that in fact the indicator problem also arises when I just use the still modes for a while!  It is just not so dramatic as in video mode ...

I agree that there is some odd battery level indicator issues in other modes. For example, in P mode, I turn the camera on and the level indicator indicates one bar; zoom into 5x and the battery level starts flashing red; press the shutter button halfway and the camera shuts down with "recharge battery" indicator. I would assume with one bar, I could take at least one picture no matter what operations I do to frame before I shoot. I can almost understand that zooming may take the battery to a critical level assuming the one bar indicator was about to change anyway, but then no power left to auto focus????

I could live with these small quirks and they are somewhat minor in comparison to the larger issue regarding movie mode.

I was puzzled because my camera was draining and dying, and others seemed to only be able to turn their cameras off and on and get back in the game. Shooting video, my camera died and when I turned it back on, it would die immediately when I tried to shoot video (as opposed to shooting photos instead). It did seem certain settings and combinations of photo/video drained the battery faster than others.

If you're happy with your Canon and will wait until the bitter end for an update to magically fix all the problems this camera has, please read no more.

For those debating whether you can do better, I suggest you can and should.

Prodded by the steep price drop and other reports about how great the sx280's photo and video quality are, I went ahead and got another one to test head to head with the Nikon point-and-shoot I just bought. I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but the Canon wasn't even close. Taking photos side by side with the same aperture, shutter and ISO settings, the Canon's photo and video were both noticeably washed out, and the detail was noticeably grainy - especially in the shadow detail (on photos taken both inside and outside).

This camera is not worthy of the Canon name - or your money.

UnionStation, ironic that you used the word bitter.  Do you have anything new or constructive to add, or is it the same old bitter broken record?

You wont cop any flack because noone cares what you think.

Does anyone know what I can do with a replacement NB-6L battery for the SX280 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TWWLAS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I returned my SX280 a few days ago and got the Lumix ZS30, but I can't find that silly little cloth and screen guard it came with. The battery is in my camera case as I wait for the Lumix to arrive.

Actually, MarioV, there ARE some people out there who care what I think - and what all of us think - because this is a user forum, not a Canon fan club where speaking out against the brand is considered heresy. Unlike you, I'm focusing my comments on the company and the product - not belittling others for stating opinions. To you, I may sound like a broken record, but not everyone has time to read through 22 pages of comments. I did, in fact, try to add something new and constructive - I experienced inconsistent power drain based on the settings (with TWO sx280s), and I found a Nikon camera to be far superior. Bitter? Youbetcha. I feel Canon gave its loyal customers a raw deal on this camera.  If you love the sx280, fine. If you don't, I'm simply saying that the people who plunked down money on this lemon are not alone and can do better.

UnionStation, I appreciate your input.  I'm a long time Canon user but that doesn't overcome the issues the SX280 has with video battery life.  What model were you making the comparison to?

Thanks, dswansonil. I went with Nikon's P330 - and though other users here have pointed out that it is in a different class of point-and-shoot, I found it to be a superior camera. I do miss the sx280's super-long zoom, but I found the photo and video quality of the Nikon to be better. It has a larger sensor, and that makes a noticeable difference. Yes, you pay more - but I figured it's a tiny extra investment in memories that I'll keep for a lifetime. 

Announcements