cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

videophan, switching back to any non-video mode AFTER power cycling I presume?  If no power cycle would be needed, that would be an improvement.  If not, that sounds like the same as before - weird!

@filipb wrote:

videophan, switching back to any non-video mode AFTER power cycling I presume?  If no power cycle would be needed, that would be an improvement.  If not, that sounds like the same as before - weird!

No, power cycle required to restore battery indicator to full. All of this, of course, is being done with a battery that does not have a full charge.

Ha, looks like they made it dynamic: i.e. can adapt upwards also iso only downwards! 😉

@videophan wrote:

Eazycanon, you may be in luck. I just found this at http://www.canon.co.uk:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-1062668&SearchType=3

They have a firmware version for release. I wonder why Canon USA doesn't have the same firmware version available?  Incidentally, my Canon USA SX280's serial number qualifies for the firmware update with a 0 digit in the 6th place. Also, regardless of where the Canon 280SX is manufactured, it would seem they would have to adhere to a rigid set of manufacturing specifications! Any comments, Jessica?

@eazycanon wrote:

Hi Dave

I've ordered mine from ebuyer and I'm expecting it tomorrrow. I'll post an update after that.

I did speak to Canon UK's technical support team before ordering who  stated there were no issues recorded on their system. What they did say was that even though each model may look the same from different parts of the world ,they are not. I'm presuming that they are manufactured in a number of different locations and that they are made available in the order of Asia Pacific-> Australasia -> USA ->Europe.

That said the proof will be when the goods arrive. At least in the UK we protected by the Sale of Goods act and also Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I'll update ASAP.

Sneaky, Sneaky, Sneaky.... Smiley Very Happy

Hi all,

I live in Belgium and received my SX280 this morning and after a quick check with battery as it was (no charge), the problem seemed to be there, but also the battery ran down quite quickly with all the zooming, flash en video tests.  So I am charging the battery now and will do some more tests.

Concerning remote firmware update, there is a canon hackers site where the (unofficial) procedure is documented:

[Mod note: Link hidden - please see FORUM GUIDELINES.]

And a page where there is evidence that this method works for the sx260 (which should be very close to the sx280):

[Mod note: Link hidden - please see FORUM GUIDELINES.] (search for File System Support and notice the wording "When using the firmware update method ...")

It seems highly unlikely that "most of the camera's out there don't have the problem", unless of course the bug was introduced in a recent firmware update ...

I also have the feeling that besides the indication problem, the battery is a bit lightweight for the task - so who knows in the longer run they will release a more powerful battery.

I have 30 days return policy (with bol.com webshop) and so I will thoroughly test it during that period and hopefully have the firmware update in that timeframe ...

Regards,

Filip.

nserrano
Apprentice

Does the camera have to explode on someones face for Canon to recall the camera? What ever happend to recalling a product because it was a lemon? Time for a Class Action lawsuit.

Here is temporary solution with small piece of tape in the middle battery contact . With this fix work like charm but without battery icon.I hope that this fix will help you. Explanation is on German language but you will see everything in next video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsy5E7bh2Y

How do you say "short circuit" and "my camera's on fire - call 911" in German?

Sorry, friend, but this idea has been floated here before. It doesn't solve the problem - it just disables the flashing battery light but leaves you with no clue when your battery is going to die.

Not only that, it's so ill-advised that the almighty at Canon actually broke months of radio silence in this forum to warn us we might burn our houses down if we try this janky 'fix' for their unfixable camera.

I did find a solution!!

I bought this battery from Vivitar and use it instead of the Canon it works!!

The link to the Vivitar Batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVPGBDG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try them., it says they can deliver 1150 mAh instead of the 1000 the Canon delivers...

Sorry i don't speak German, I found this solution on youtube.
But I decide to risk with my new Sx280HS five days old.
Today I play with my SX280 and I am surprised because now working.Of course without battery icon but I make more than 40 min full hd video with zoom playing constantly.Camera still work and battery is not empty.I think that firmware can't solve this issue because some electronic part not work properly.But for me this is okay temporary solution.I have three battery now, two old from IXUS85 IS and one new from SX280 and all work good with this small fix..Last 15 years I use only Canon (A60,A70,S1IS,IXUS85IS and last one SX280HS).Twice Canon change ccd chip on my old A70 for free (was factory issue) and because I believe in this big and good company.But this is big mistake from Canon and if Canon not solve this is be my last Canon camera
We must be patient and wait some solution from Canon

Announcements