cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

They melting em down and converting them to frying pans.

Dave

For anyone thinking about buying the SX280 for Christmas, everyone here can attest that they make wonderful decorative paperweights.

Does anyone have any reviews for the SX260 or SX270 in comparison to the SX280?

If you can find a new SX-260 buy it.  Takes great 30p video and has normal battery functions. 

The  SX270 is the SX280 without WIFI and GPS and probably has the same issues.

I still have the SX220HS, I took it to Spain and France last July and I relied on it maninly for videos as I have a DSLR to take stills. I carry a second battery with me and rarely had to use it as the SX220HS took videos as many as I wanted without any issues or any worry about the battery might die soon. I am so happy with the SX2200 HS that when the SX280 came out I was so glad to have the opportunity to upgrade, but as it failed miserablly, thank god I returned it just two days after and continue now to rely on my SX220HS.

Davy
Rising Star

Just queried the power problem with Canon UK... here is part of  their reply-:

Quote:

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

In reference to your enquiry on the PowerShot SX280 HS please be advised that we have no information on USA models but there is no issue with our UK models and the battery.

Any known issues will always be announced on our Product Support page, for the PowerShot SX280 HS you can find this here There are no known issues listed.  ......... Unquote:

Note:

The link given is -:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_serie...

Canon seems to be at sixes and sevens over this issue?

So can anyone confirm that this problem does not apply to UK models, maybe I'm better looking elsewhere.

Thanks, Dave

Davy,

Ha. Perhaps those models have a special UK firmware, version 1.0.0.UK!

Davy
Rising Star

Yeah, makes it sound like a firmware issue doesn't it, thanks for that RCJ.

Wouldn't mind if it were a £ or $ or two, the price they're asking you'd expect things to be right first off, you don't want be having hastel with it straight out of box.

I use the Canon A650, pity they stopped that production..... nothing wrong with AAA cells, at least you can get em' anywhere,  I certainly don't mind scarficing size and weight for AAA cells.

Thanks again, happy snapping.... Dave

I went to amazon.co.uk and found this in the reviews for the SX280.Note the first reviewer's updated comment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00BYOY9DK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

He is not a verified amazon.co.uk purchaser and  may not have bought it in the UK.  You do have to make at least one purchase at amazon.uk.co to review an item but not necessarily the item you review...similar to the requirements at amazon.com.

@Davy wrote:

Just queried the power problem with Canon UK... here is part of  their reply-:

Quote:

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

In reference to your enquiry on the PowerShot SX280 HS please be advised that we have no information on USA models but there is no issue with our UK models and the battery.

Any known issues will always be announced on our Product Support page, for the PowerShot SX280 HS you can find this here There are no known issues listed.  ......... Unquote:

Note:

The link given is -:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_serie...

Canon seems to be at sixes and sevens over this issue?

So can anyone confirm that this problem does not apply to UK models, maybe I'm better looking elsewhere.

Thanks, Dave

Announcements