cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Yeah, I'm pretty disgusted with the lack of response from Canon. I'm sure they are reading this forum. Why not speak up?

Has anyone considered the Panasonic Lumix TZ40 / ZS30? From what I've read it has a bit more noise at higher ISOs. So I'm still not sure if that will affect my use much or not. However it is a camera that works, unlike the sx280.

I just got off the phone with Canon.  Here's the 'current' scoop.  The issue has been confirmed.  For quicker resolution you can send your camera in for repair- camera body only- no accessories.  Turnaround time is 5-7 days.  They will provide a prepaid UPS shipping label for you.  They have documented successful repairs of this issue.  A firmware update will very likely be available in the future to enable you to update/repair your camera remotely.  But they haven't released it yet (obviously).  So it boils down to urgency of having this issue resolved.  Want it resolved now?  Call Canon and have them email you a prepaid shipping label for repair and send your camera in.  Good at executing patience and can carry on with this temporary annoyance?  Simply wait for a firmware update to be released.  Canon will provide clear instructions for updating your firmware 'through a memory card'. 

While on the phone with Canon I went ahead and set up my camera for repair.  They sent me an email link.  I just need to print the UPS label.  After that time they confirmed with me that I have ONE YEAR to use it!  So I will patiently await a firmware update online while also having the return option at my disposal.  I may decide to send it in if I have significant down time where I won't plan on using my camera much.  I have had a good experience with Canon repairs.  In fact my previous Canon camera purchase had a lens error.  I sent it in, received it back fairly quickly, and haven't had a problem since.

On a side note, keep in mind the originally documented battery performance (that was also posted previously in this forum).  Don't have too high expectations!  There are certainly other cameras that have better battery life.

Power Source

Battery Pack NB-6L

Still image

Number of Shots

Approx. 210

Still image

Number of Shots Eco mode

Approx. 260

Movie Shooting Time*1

Approx. 25 min.

Movie Continuous Shooting*2

Approx. 1 hr.

Playback Time

Approx. 3 hr. 30 min.

*1: Times are based on default settings, starting and stopping shooting, turning the camera on and off, and operations such as using the zoom.
*2: Times are based on repeatedly shooting until the maximum clip length is reached or recording stops automatically.
  • The number of shots that can be taken is based on the Camera & Imaging Products Association (CIPA) measurement standard.
  • Under some shooting conditions, the number of possible shots and shooting time may be less than mentioned above.
  • Number of shots/time with a fully charged battery.

Thanks for the objective post, smith.

All the emotion/frustration and the "I bet Canon will make you pay for shipping," or "I_told_you_so, it's_a_lemon," provides little help in making a smart decision.

I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

Thanks -pawl-.  I agree with you completely.  Many of these posts are just sour attitudes which serve no positive contribution.  Let's find a resolution and move forward with life!  Although this post doesn't really contribute either, just had the urge to reply. 😃

@pawl wrote:

Thanks for the objective post, smith.

All the emotion/frustration and the "I bet Canon will make you pay for shipping," or "I_told_you_so, it's_a_lemon," provides little help in making a smart decision.

I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

I just talked to Canon Technical Support and received a somewhat different report. Yes, they will send me a prepaid shipping label. Will there be a firmware update issued that can be done remotely? The answer: it may or may not happen but no confirmation of that has filtered down to the Canon Technical Support level. His advice was to send it in for repair.

Also, "I wouldn't doubt" and "I bet" have two completely different meanings to most people, the latter being a much stronger statement.

What would help in making a smart decision is an official statement from Canon regarding the issues in writing, not merely repeating what one tech support person relays to one consumer.

Interestingly, I just heard back from Canon myself this morning via email, and all they said was (emphasis mine):

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I am sorry for the difficulty experienced with the "low battery" indicator in your PowerShot SX280 HS.

We are aware of this issue and currently do not have a solution.  We ask that you register your camera so that when a resolution is found you will be notified.  In the meantime, you can continue to use your camera as normal and ignore the low battery indicator.

Has anyone made a comparison of any of the 3rd party NB-6L batteries (Wasabi, STK, Maximal) that have higher maH ratings (1300-1600) to the standard Canon battery rated at 1000?  I'd be interested to know if they give proportionally longer video time. 

I ran a test last night and got about an hour of video at the default settings.  I didn't do any zooming after an initial setup but stopped and started the video every 10 to 15 minutes to simulate timeouts in a sporting event which is what I video.  (Battery and camera were noticeably warm to the touch afterwards so I know it pulls significant power.)

Wow, that's good news (assuming the test you ran last night was, in fact, with the 3rd party battery you mentioned in first paragraph).

Sorry for the confusion but my test was the Canon battery.  Since I didn't turn the camera on and off (only stopped and started video) or do any zooming during the video, I think my results of about 1 hour are in line with the previously posted specs for what I recall was described as Video 2.  That's why I asked the question. 

If the 1600 maH 3rd party battery would increase that to 1.5 hours, then I might reconsider keeping the SX280.

I don't see how you are getting 1 hour of battery life when Canon says 25 minutes. I can't even get 25 minutes. I get 20 minutes with zooming in and out about 6 times. I also have one of those 3rd party batteries and it acts the same as the stock one... I would love an hour or hour and a half battery life..

Announcements