cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

UionStation just to let you know the p330 is in the same class as the canon s110 not sx280. Something like the Sony wx300 is in the same class as the sx280. I'm just as frustrated with the battery performance on the sx280 as you are....

I have owned the P330 and the P310 before it.  I returned the P330 because I thought it was over priced.  I honestly like the P310 better and it can be bought for 169.  The Canon camera to compare to the P330 would be the S110, not the SX280.  The Nikon camera competing directly to the SX280 is the S9500.  

The SX280 is in a class of camera called travel zooms.  The sensor is smaller than what is in entusiast compact cameras like the P330 and S110 (and LX7, EX2F, XZ-2, etc).  So the P330 and S110 can in theory take better pictures in low light due to the larger sensor and faster lens.  The SX280 has a larger zoom than the P330, which is often useful when travelling.  

Your experience was unfortunate.  All I am saying is that it could have been the Nikon just as easy.  Plus, Canon's reponse on this issue has been quick compared to what I have seen.  This camera has not even been out a month and I have seen manufacturers take months to acknowledge issues.  

You sound like a Canon PR person trying to do damage control. Canon treated us like chumps. That's my only point. Another poster asked me which model I bought. I didn't volunteer that information. If you're happy with Canon's customer service, you're entitled to your opinion. I'd prefer to be treated better, and I'm letting my fellow customers know how I feel in hopes that Canon gets the message that bad service is bad business.

Fair enough...All I am really saying is that it could have taken alot longer than it has for Canon to acknowledge the issue.  Sounds like they do need help for sure on the service side of things.

Hello Canon,

The sooner the better for the firmware update (like before a planned trip next week), or will return.

Thank you Canon, although it has been an extremely frustrating week, I have only owned
the camera 7 days, and I for one appreciate your announcement, and look forward to a rapid fix. Many may be like me, wanting to keep the camera, IF a fix can be achieved before our store's "return policy date" approaches. I am also going to pay closer attention to battery life issue as well.

I just got my replacement sx280. I gave the original back to the vendor and ordered another one. It's hard to believe, however this camera doesn't seem to have the low battery issue!

How can I check which firmware version I have? I'm on a mac and the camera is not recognized, only in iPhoto which doesn't give me the firmware info.

UPDATE: See my post below. Camera battery indicator is NOT working, after all. 😞

Canonuser4 run a test. On a full charge run the video until the battery dies. Let us know how long it will run. I got 20 minutes that was zooming in and out about six times during the recording...

I charged my battery, and ran a video. It shut off at 24 minutes, however the battery still had 2 bars, so 2/3 full or so. It would take me too long to continue to video until the battery runs out. I hope that helps.

Also I thought I could take still shots while shooting video with my first camera. This one if I'm shooting video and take a still shot, the video ends. Anyone able to help me with this?

UPDATE: I turned the camera off, then back on, and the battery showed full. Then I started to shoot another video and the camera low battery is now flashing red. Took another 24 minutes of video with the battery indicator flashing red the whole time. Then I turn the camera off, then back on, and the battery indicator shows 2 bars.

So my camera does have a incorrect battery indicator, after all!

canonuser4 asks:

"How can I check which firmware version I have? I'm on a mac and the camera is not recognized, only in iPhoto which doesn't give me the firmware info."

Connect the camera to your Mac and turn it on. Then open Canon Utilities Camera Window. Right on top mine says "Firmware version 1.0.0.0."

The utilities are on the disc that came in the box with the camera. I have them installed on my Mac, but not in the applications folder (otherwise it takes over my computer whenever I insert a smart card from the Canon or from my DSLR).

BTW, I am one of those who have the flashing battery during video issue, although on on/off the battery shows fine. I can shoot about a 30 minute video before the battery dies.

Announcements