cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

same - 1-14.0.1.0

"replacement"  Does that mean you returned the original to Canon or to the retailer?

I returned my original to B&H Photo, then purchased a new one from Amazon due to a considerable price drop that B&H would not match.

nattypattyo
Apprentice

After extensive research, I purchased the SX 280 camera for my honeymoon to Jamaica. I was completely aware of the battery issues, but purchased the camera anyways for all of its other features. Unfortunately, the battery glitched on several occasions when timing was crutial for taking a picture/video on the honeymoon. I fumbled with taking the battery and memory card out of the camera and trying to reset it, only to miss my opportunity for capturing the shot. There were other times when the camera would shut off randomly even though the battery was 100% charged. These experiences were so frustrating that I've decided to return the camera.

I would like to buy a camera that matches in picture quality for a similar price. I know several people recommended the Panasonic ZS30, but I read that the picture quality wasn't nearly as good. Has anyone returned their SX280 and found a camera that compares on picture quality for a similar price?

The ZS-30's video isn't as good as Canon,IMHO, but you can make a few tweaks in post production to make it entirely acceptable.  The ZS-30 tends to over-expose but that can be corrected if you abandon the full auto function.  The footage it produces for a blu-ray looks great on HD TV and I promise it looks much better than the footage you didn't get with the SX-280.  If you want great Canon video buy a SX-260 if you can find one or perhaps a used DSLR like the T2i.

Anyone thinking about buying or keeping an SX280, PLEASE learn from nattypattyo's experience - this camera is unfixable. Despite the great features you think it has, the whole "not working when you need it" thing tends to be a bit of a drawback.

UnionStation, I can tell you're incredibly upset about purchasing the camera. I didn't mean to further upset you with my post, but hopefully you found some solace in your rant against me.

Flyingski, thank you for the information about the ZS-30 and the SX260. Both of these seem like good options.

Hi everyone in this forum

Read all your comments, read almost el the reviews and could not find another camera at that price. To get the same quality pics I need at least $100 more.  So I ordered it from Amazon for $185 (they sent me  a case and a 16GB memory for free) and with some discounts that I had I ended up paying total close to $170.  Comparing it to a Lumina S6500 that I just broke trying to clean some dust on the lens, this one is far better and very quick.  Yes, I have the battery indicator blinking  when I zoom  on video but I ignore it . Most important thing the quality of the pictures.
My firmware is 1-14.0.1.0  and cannot update it.  First video recording with repeated zooms lasted about 20 to 25 minutes.  After shutting it off I was still able to records another 10 minutes  (took some pics in between) without  zooming. Still had enough battery at he end  to take pictures with flash - quite a few... I read about covering the middle metal in the battery to stop the red blinking - I also read somewhere that CANON advised not to do that. This is a solid camera,  if you do not want to spend more that 185 dollars on a camera that compares with $350+ cameras, then buy it.  I also bought for $19 the package with two extra batteries and a car charger from Amazon ( waiting for them).
Not sure if I will need them for picture taking, but if I want to take 1.5  hrs video I will definitely have the capability.
If CANON decides to fix this indicator thing good, if not I will still keep the camera as I cannot find another one that takes this kind of pictures or video at this price range.  No reason to complain to CANON as I am sure  from reading your posts  they will do nothing  Thanks for posting all these messages folks
PS
Here is a camera that I thought it compares (if you are willing to spend  almost $150 more)..
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX280-HS-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX50V

And that's how Canon can get away with releasing a lemon like this. Despite the financial hit Canon takes from returns and the beating it takes from disgruntled customers, the company knows there are brand-loyal fans who will say, 'Oh well, it's not great but it's good enough.' I had TWO of these cameras and wasn't all that impressed with the photo quality. I found the photos to be a bit grainy (even in bright sunlight), contrasty and overly saturated - acceptable, but certainly not of such great quality that I felt I had to live with this camera's shortcomings. To anyone who can live with the flashing red light, I say best of luck to you. One day you'll be shooting video or photos that you care about and the camera will just shut off. It will be too late when you realize that your wolf-crying warning light was trying to tell you that you really were running out of battery power.

Sorry but i have bought a camera that Canon said and still saying that can record many minutes on the video mode, and that is not true at all. They still knowing the video problem but they don't admit that. Like the most of the other users, i'm not complaining about the photos they are very good, only about video issue and the unrecognized of Canon about that problem. Canon stills selling a camera that they say that can record many video minutes, but that wasn't true.....
Announcements