cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I'm having the exact same problem with my new camera.

-Cindy

Same problem here! So aggravating! Will Canon offer a solution or explanation other then sending it in for service? Will service actually fix the problem? Hard to know since Canon claims they haven't heard of this issue. =/. Anyone out there find a resolution or have a good outcome with service? Please post!

So what do i do now???

MySX270HS, which was experencing the 'red battery flashing' problem was less than 1 week old. I telephoned Canon UK. They told me they did not know about such a problem with this camera!!! And advised that I return it to my supplier (Amazon). This is did - have now received the replacement camera - It has exactly the same problem.

So what do I do now?

Contact Canon again? (Seems a little pointless).

Get another replacement (which will no doubt have the same problem).

Get it replaced with an entirely different camera? If so which model?

Live with a 'flashing red battery icon'?

Not happy with Canon.

Somebody needs to be willing to send their maifunctioning camera into Canon for repair. They won't know what to do to repair the issue until that happens.

Unfortunately noone has done that yet.

Gog
Apprentice

Really not happy about sending a day old camera back to Canon for repair/investigation and Canon Helpdesk could offer no real solution.

However problem is now solved: My (2nd) Canon SX270HS has now been returned to Amazon and is being replaced with a Panasonic.

Certainly a legitimate consideration. Which Panasonic did you choose? I'd like to know how it compares. I was sold on the Canon though for my uses. Supposedly best in its class. I hope Canon provides a firmware update. Canon? You there? I'm sure you've had several returns of this product by now, mine included. Keeping fingers crossed that my replacement will be better, but I'm not very optimistic.

After a lot of looking around I have gone for a Panasonic TZ35. Seems to have pretty good reviews. (I didn't need WiFi etc).

Quite fancied an Olympus SH-50 but they are still only available for pre order in the uk (with no firm idea of when available) and I need a camera for a planned holiday.

dim
Contributor

Today I traded this camera in the store for another of the same type. Unfortunately, failure is of course yet again. I think it's a problem all sx280hs. I'll wait for the opinion of Canon. I still believe that it is a decent Japanese company. I'm still 14 days left for a refund.
Note : When returning the camera in the store I wanted to show the problem. As purposely everything worked OK !

re:

"Note : When returning the camera in the store I wanted to show the problem. As purposely everything worked OK !"

I can always get my SX280 to show the flashing red battery icon problem if I use the zoom while taking a movie.

DP
Apprentice
Sent my camera in and the sent it back stating there was no issue. Second one. Going back for a Nikon. Read my full post!
Announcements