cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Just a follow up for the SX280 battery test I started earlier:  

So far I've been able to record a total of 25mins of video (in increments of 12mins, 8mins and 5mins) all using the zoom, although the battery warning came up ~30secs after the start of that last 5min segment. It let me carry on recording for the full 5mins though and then I manually turned it off.

3hrs later I switched it back on (in auto mode) and the battery bar indicates full again?  I pressed the red movie record button below the mode dial, and the low battery icon started flashing immediately.  I kept recording though (without zooming this time) for another 5mins and then manually stopped. The battery warning was still flashing before I turned it off.  I powered it back up immediately (still in auto mode) and the battery is saying full again.

So I am now up to 30mins of recording time and still going. I guess I got a good copy.

Just on a side note though, I watched quite a few unboxing vids on youtube (both British and North American) and I noticed that the cameras they unpacked all had a little tag attached to where the wrist strap go, plus a circular WiFi sticker on the front of the camera, adjacent to the bottom of the lens.  Mine didnt have either of these when I took it out of the box so I wonder if mine is a refurbished copy?

None the less, it appears that this copy is operating according to the specs so I wonder how much longer I can go with video or how many more shots it will let me take.

I'll keep testing.

Mine came without those too, don't know if it is indication of anything...

4thFootPvt
Contributor
Removing the battery an reinserting it fixes the problem. This indicates a physical connection issue. Try the velcro. (Or a bit of self stick felt.) It worked on two cameras so far. I'm fairly certain it will work on yours.

I finally did the in and out battery thing but when shooting lemurs in Madagascar it was frustrating! I'm going to try the felt/fuzzy tape thing and appreciate all the help I have gotten here. I love my 510 Canon but may have to go back to my 20X Panasonics if the felt doesn't work.

Something interesting about the SX280 20x vs 20x Panasonic...the zoom is greater on the 280!

No offense, LSousa, but you are advising people to do a VERY dangerous thing. The battery exploding or catching fire is a very real possibility. Say someone is traveling on a plane with one of these time bombs. PLEASE, people. This tape thing is NOT a fix!

Understood. I'll use only on lid.

myasg
Enthusiast

thanks - i do have a class 10 card and it happened anyway - i am trying the reset now and see what happens.  i will report back.  maybe the class 10 card is faulty.  if it still does not work i will replace the card and try again - then exchange the camera if it still does not work.

still happening after 'hard reset' - what now.  is everyone having this problem?

I'm not having any issues with the memory card, only the battery. I have a SanDisk extreme 30MB/s card, which is class 10.

I have the same issue-I have made sure to NOT have GPS and WiFI on when checking the poor battery life- and it is still there.

I called Canon and asked them if they were working on a fix for the problem and they indicated that they were NOT AWARE of any complaints - and WERE NOT- working to fix ANY ISSUES- so I too am trying to decide if I want to return it before my limit is up- I love the picture quality and the range. Should I return it??

Announcements